Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanWA

Reaction score
I am wanting some help identifying a snake that I saw at the beach this morning, I didn't get a photo unfortunately! I was in the northern suburbs of Perth and walking down the path to the beach. The snake was about 1.2 meters long and had a light green, almost iridescent body with a yellow-orange shade on its head and it was fairly thin. I do not know much about snakes and cant find a picture that matches it on any web sites, but I don't remember ever seeing pictures of a snake like this around Perth. It is not important that I find out what it was, I am just curios!

I am not sure, I thought of that but the pictures that I found of them were not quite right. Maybe I just didnt look at it properly. Thanks though!

G'day mate,

Colubrids are confined to the north coast of WA, so you can rule our a Green Tree Snake.

I am guessing it is most probably a Whip Snake (Demansia), however I'm unsure of what species as they have just been reclassified and I don't have any field guides with me at present.

what...when I lived in bellthorpe near malainey north west inland from brisbane I saw heeps of green tree snakes on the range going up to mountain. I've removed afew from farmers houses as well but only because if they stayed they would of been a dead snake. people also say that there's no diamonds in QLD ether but it amazing what I found living up there. a diamond ate my pet chook. mind you it gets - degrees up there and only gets as hot as 25 degs in summer being in the clouds.

Most likely a yellow faced whip, the western oz ones can have a greenish body with yellow/orange head (Demansia psammophis)
Venomous but not regarded as dangerous

Duno if it would be a yellow faced whip snake i thought they only got around 70cm ive never found one over that size.I believe that it coulda been a tree snake.Thats just my view.

what...when I lived in bellthorpe near malainey north west inland from brisbane I saw heeps of green tree snakes on the range going up to mountain. I've removed afew from farmers houses as well but only because if they stayed they would of been a dead snake. people also say that there's no diamonds in QLD ether but it amazing what I found living up there. a diamond ate my pet chook. mind you it gets - degrees up there and only gets as hot as 25 degs in summer being in the clouds.

Green Tree Snakes are very common right down the coast of QLD and a lot of NSW. My reference was with regards to WA - all colubrid species that occur in WA, do so on the north coast.

The Diamonds you saw would have just been uniquely patterned Carpet Pythons. They come in many, many colours, patterns and contrasts. I have an old photo here somewhere of one I caught when I was 14, that was almost black with small rosettes just like a Diamond Python. It was caught along a creekline in Booval, about 35km west of Brisbane.

I have looked at some pictures and I think that it is a Yellow Faced Whip Snake! Thanks for all your help!

haha im too slow

im new at this but got myself a herp field guide the other day. from what you described i'd go with yellow faced whipsnake as they said above (Demansia psammorphis). It is interesting to see in various images how much the colours can vary from darker individuals to lighter colours.

so i was too slow but im glad this book is so interesting for investigating things like this :p

I didnt realise that Jonno,by going by his description of it,it sounded like a GTS...

Green Tree Snakes are very common right down the coast of QLD and a lot of NSW. My reference was with regards to WA - all colubrid species that occur in WA, do so on the north coast.

The Diamonds you saw would have just been uniquely patterned Carpet Pythons. They come in many, many colours, patterns and contrasts. I have an old photo here somewhere of one I caught when I was 14, that was almost black with small rosettes just like a Diamond Python. It was caught along a creekline in Booval, about 35km west of Brisbane.

sorry I miss read about the green tree snake but I know what a coastal looks like and they don't look anything like a diomand I am pretty sure I cought that diomand though. but it could of been an intergrade it was so long ago.

It was a Juv Dugite pseudonaja affinis.

I live in the Northern Suburbs of Perth aswell (Mindarie) and im a licenced snake catch and relocator,
I always get call for green snakes with a yellow, orange or black head and it is always a Dugite.

Green tree snakes are not found down here around Perth, they are found around Broome and North.

Cheers,

Might have been a green tree python, people say they see them at Sydney so why not Perth :lol:

In all seriousness though, I think it would have been dugite also, just by the size, never seen a whip snake that big, so if you are not exaggerating, then it is not likely a whip snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back