Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavandEve

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

There's a chance that I may need to move interstate for work and this has got me worried in regards to all of the different rules and regulations this country (motley group of states) has.

We're currently in Queensland and have been licenced for a year now. We have a Jungle Carpet Python, a Blackheaded Python and a Wheatbelt Stimsons Python. All we're bred in captivity.

We were wondering if anyone out there from other states could let us know the different licencing restrictions in terms of how to get licenced and what can or can't be kept. Not sure I could make the move if I had to leave any of the skids behind...

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time.

Cheers, Guys.

It shouldn't be an issue unless you were planning on moving to WA or TAS in which case you won't be able to legally take your pythons.

Where do you intend on moving to? I think a lot of states will recognise that you're licenced already so it shouldn't be hard to transfer them. Your species are all on the most basic class in NSW and I imagine everywhere else they would be too so that will make it easier

Possibilities are NSW, ACT, VIC, SA or WA. Can we not legally take them into WA?? Do they have their own quarantine/ border restrictions? Does WA think it's a country rather than a state? lol. Getting a bit concerned on that front...

Possibilities are NSW, ACT, VIC, SA or WA. Can we not legally take them into WA?? Do they have their own quarantine/ border restrictions? Does WA think it's a country rather than a state? lol. Getting a bit concerned on that front...

No, yes and yes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

They currently have a ban on python imports, I believe due to the risk of viral infections to wild populations.

They currently have a ban on python imports, I believe due to the risk of viral infections to wild populations.

I mean no offense to you, but this it the most ludacris thing I have heard in a very long time... I don't even know where to begin my rant on this, nor do I think I'd be allowed enough space to complete it. This "country" is already so friggin hypocritical with all of the ins and outs and ifs and buts between states... add this to the list, I guess...

If anyone were to ever plan a move for consistency across all states, or even better, an AUSTRALIAN ruling, please let me know. I'll back it in a heart-beat...

Back on track though, is there a site that shows the different state rulings, or (need I ask) will it be a matter of looking them up individually?

Yes it's WA at its finest considering the import laws. Guess they are just trying to protect our animals even tho I'm sure there are out of state pythons here already!!

It's funny. Usually it's all the other states saying it sucks for WA reptile keepers. Though if you move to WA it sucks to be you. I'd like to see things change here. But I'm quite happy with the import ban for the time being. There's been no cases reported of IBD or sunshine virus since keeping started here. So maybe it's a good thing.

Yes it's WA at its finest considering the import laws. Guess they are just trying to protect our animals even tho I'm sure there are out of state pythons here already!!

That link looks great, cheers. Now that I see it, I think that's where I started when looking to get licenced, haha.

The whole state thing annoys the hell out of me. Everyone moving to WA stops at the border, releases their pythons and continue on... meanwhile, said released pythons come over the border of their own free will... Pointless system. The Australian quarantine program is fair enough, but this state to state set-up is nonsense.

Anyways, thanks for your time. We appreciate it. And good luck to anyone else that has to deal with interstate reptile laws...

It's funny. Usually it's all the other states saying it sucks for WA reptile keepers. Though if you move to WA it sucks to be you. I'd like to see things change here. But I'm quite happy with the import ban for the time being. There's been no cases reported of IBD or sunshine virus since keeping started here. So maybe it's a good thing.

Certainly those diseases are already in WA, and active as I write this. Even CALM had a big die-off in the 1990s (was kept very quiet) in their confiscated snakes collection. It's a couple of years since I've communicated with Tim Hyndman in WA - do you know if he was working on any samples collected in WA since he began his research at Murdoch Snowy?

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

That link looks great, cheers. Now that I see it, I think that's where I started when looking to get licenced, haha.

The whole state thing annoys the hell out of me. Everyone moving to WA stops at the border, releases their pythons and continue on... meanwhile, said released pythons come over the border of their own free will... Pointless system. The Australian quarantine program is fair enough, but this state to state set-up is nonsense.

Anyways, thanks for your time. We appreciate it. And good luck to anyone else that has to deal with interstate reptile laws...

People moving to WA would need to have their WA licences and Import Permits issued before leaving their state of origin, so the release at the border thing wouldn't happen, unless they were travelling with illegally acquired animals and no licence. Your car WILL be searched at the border as you enter WA, for all sorts of things, fruit, plants, birds & animals (other than dogs & cats...), the seige mentality is alive and well.

Having said that, the Nullarbor is a natural barrier for many species which are pests in the eastern states - sparrows, starlings, mynahs to name only 3, so WA agriculture is generally a lot cleaner and pest-free than here in the east, so although I don't like the brown-shirt approach, it has merit in some circumstances.

I spent most of my life in WA, and have always been interested in keeping reptiles (I was fortunate to have a job where this was facilitated to some extent however). I have ALWAYS desired GTPs, and of course they weren't, and still aren't, allowed to be kept there. But... seeing what is happening here, with the mixing of species and subspecies by professional and amateur keeper breeders, to the point where it is now impossible to guarantee what you are buying because no one knows the long-term heritage, I'm inclined to think it will be a very long time before the WA authorities will allow other Carpet Python species/subspecies into the state to bugger up the imbricata/variegata duopoly that currently exists there.

May not be such a bad thing in the end...

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly those diseases are already in WA, and active as I write this. Even CALM had a big die-off in the 1990s (was kept very quiet) in their confiscated snakes collection. It's a couple of years since I've communicated with Tim Hyndman in WA - do you know if he was working on any samples collected in WA since he began his research at Murdoch Snowy?

Jamie
I have not heard much on Tim. I think Simon keeps in touch with him though. I still haven't heard of anyone having stock in WA diagnosed with SV. I'd heard about DEC losing their captive stock before the system was created. But I'm yet to hear of any keepers losing animals. I agree though that the diseases are already here. Plus the amount of illegal reptiles kept here means there must be a constant flow of pythons coming in from over east. There has been a few posts of people over east losing entire collections. Or coming home to a mystery dead snake... Though I'm sure 99% of collections over there are clean, it seems to be more prevalent. Perhaps it has more to do with the percentage of keepers too though...
I'm a bit biased in that I like our carpet gene pool being so pure, so the ban suits my needs. Though with the introduction of NWCP now it will be interesting to see if some monkey crosses them. They breed at different times of the year. But I doubt that will be a problem for the mad scientists. I'd still like to keep green tree pythons, but I cant see that happening while I live here. Breeders here can also still get a reasonable price on their stock as the market isn't as flooded as the rest of Australia yet. With the ban in place new keepers can gain the experience of breeding without fear of being unable to off load stock. (for the moment).
Though DEC use the excuse of IBD, I tend to think it was more Mawson trying to stop hybrids in the carpets. I doubt we would have got NWCP added if he was still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that, the Nullarbor is a natural barrier for many species which are pests in the eastern states - sparrows, starlings, mynahs to name only 3, so WA agriculture is generally a lot cleaner and pest-free than here in the east, so although I don't like the brown-shirt approach, it has merit in some circumstances.

I spent most of my life in WA, and have always been interested in keeping reptiles (I was fortunate to have a job where this was facilitated to some extent however). I have ALWAYS desired GTPs, and of course they weren't, and still aren't, allowed to be kept there. But... seeing what is happening here, with the mixing of species and subspecies by professional and amateur keeper breeders, to the point where it is now impossible to guarantee what you are buying because no one knows the long-term heritage, I'm inclined to think it will be a very long time before the WA authorities will allow other Carpet Python species/subspecies into the state to bugger up the imbricata/variegata duopoly that currently exists there.

May not be such a bad thing in the end...

Jamie
Hahaha that's kind of how I see it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably related this before, but during the early talks we had with CALM about keeping in WA, Dr Mawson once said "legal keeping in WA will be introduced over my dead body..."

There were more than a few sidelong glances between those on our side of the table...:)!

J

I've probably related this before, but during the early talks we had with CALM about keeping in WA, Dr Mawson once said "legal keeping in WA will be introduced over my dead body..."

There were more than a few sidelong glances between those on our side of the table...:)!

J
Such a shame.. The whole system here could have been so different if he and his mates weren't so against having to set up a keeping system. They had the chance to learn from every other state. Take the best bits and make it the best keeping system in Australia.....

Why would anyone stop and release their snakes at the border which would likely just die and could be easily sold....

Why would anyone stop and release their snakes at the border which would likely just die and could be easily sold....

I think it was just in jest. No one is particularly rational when emotions come into play. The idea of not being able to bring his pets into WA pushed him over the edge.....

I think it was just in jest. No one is particularly rational when emotions come into play. The idea of not being able to bring his pets into WA pushed him over the edge.....

Fair point, can be hard to tell on here sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back