Intro and Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

6billie10

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I hope the group doesn't mind me joining to ask a question. I found a small snake (or legless lizard - I wouldn't know) under my house recently and am hoping someone might recognise it and be able to identify it for me. If it's a juvenile snake then I suppose I better start looking for its family. I set it free in bush area across the road from my place (I live along the beach just north of Wollongong in NSW). I've attached some photos of it. It's most distinctive feature is the circle of yellow around its head. The body was a plain brown colour. I'm not sure if you can really tell the size from the photos but it was about 15cm long.
Thanks for any feedback. You have a great forum from what I've seen.
Thanks
Layla

Attachments

• DSC_0987.jpg
    DSC_0987.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0988.jpg
    DSC_0988.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0989.jpg
    DSC_0989.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0990.jpg
    DSC_0990.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 128
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've just done a bit of an internet search on the Golden Crowned snake and it sounds like it definitely could be the one. Good to hear that although venemous, they rarely bite. I was worried as my little Jack Russell has been known to chase down anything that moves and didn't want either her or any snake to get hurt. I'll have a look around for its parents and move them out of harms way as well if I can. Thanks again everyone.

HI all,

That is a young adult Cacophis squamolosus The golden Crowned snake, yes they are venomous and rarely bite.

I would go to the nearest ptach of bushland and release him/her...if doing it during the day I would release next to a large log or rock if possible as they are nocturnal and you don't want it to be a meal for a raptor or a kooka

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back