Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

austnik

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just thought I would post an introduction here to say hello as I haven't done it as yet. My name is Nicole (Nic), residing in Vic and I have recently acquired a Childrens that I absolutely love. I am really new to herps and have a question that I thought someone could answer. It maybe nothing but I just thought I would check. My hatchie seems to be constantly pacing the enclosure at night. He (or she) always seems to want to get out of the enclosure. I keep it in a small plastic fish tank tub 35cmL x 25cmW x 30cmH and that is inside a large enclosure 1mL x 80cmW x 90cmH and the temp is around 28.5C in the day and a bit lower at night. He is really happy to go onto my hand etc. when i open the small tank (i dont pick him up i just put my hand on the edge of the tank) and will move around on my had for ages without wanting to get off. Seems quite happy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome and enjoy the party....

Do you have a temp gradient in there so a hot end and a cool end, how often do you feed the little tacka?

Welcome!!
That just sounds like a happy pythons behaviour.
Is the bigger enclosure for when it grows up?

Thanks for the welcomes :D
There is a hot end and a cool end - the hot is around 29.5 and the cooler end is 27. I have only feed him once since i got him which was 3 weeks ago. The breeder feed him while i was there and then i fed him a few days ago.
Jordo: yes the bigger is for when he grows. And i have called him Jordon!

The little tacker (Jordon) might just be doing a little hunting either that or he is just active.

What a great name, must be an awesome snake!!!
OK I'll stop now lol

I figured he was just active but being so new I wasn't sure. I have let him go into the larger enclosure and he just wanders around everywhere so you may be right SNKMST.
Thanks Jordo. He is an awesome snake - pic of him as my avatar.
Feedback is really appreciated, thanks.

Welcome austnik, looks like you got yourself a very nice little childrens. are you coming to the VHS expo?

just curious but is 2.5'c a good enough temp gradient? he could be so active because hes constantly warm, also being warm all the time would (correct me if i am wrong) increase his motabolism so he would need to be fed more often so he may just be looking for food.

just me thinking out loud :p

Thanks SLACkra. I am definitely going to the VHS expo - so excited!

I thought that it might be that he is too warm but when i let him out into the larger enclosure he was trying to get closer to the light!?? He may be looking for food. I will feed him on Monday (giving him 10 days in between feeds) and see if there is a change. I was planning to feed him once a fortnight or less as I have heard around here that its good to feed at about 10-14 days.?!
What do you think?

You will find that all snakes act differently. I have a yearling Stimsoni and he will do nothing during daylight hours, but be very active once the sun goes down, except for a couple of days after being fed and when shedding.

Childrens are famous for trying to escape and looking for any hole to get through. Mine escaped once and luckily we found him a couple of days later. Put him back in his enclosure, turned out the lights and kept watching and he went straight back to the gap he found. Even after fixing the gap he kept going back to this spot.

Seems quite a normal childreni, but just keep an eye out for any small gaps in the larger enclosure.

Austnik said "I thought that it might be that he is too warm but when i let him out into the larger enclosure he was trying to get closer to the light!?? He may be looking for food. I will feed him on Monday (giving him 10 days in between feeds) and see if there is a change. I was planning to feed him once a fortnight or less as I have heard around here that its good to feed at about 10-14 days.?!
What do you think?"

Being a new member of this site you are excused for this comment. This subject is quite often debated on this site, sometimes quite heatedly as everyone has different opinions.

I normally give my Stimsoni on average 10 days between feeds, and this probably contributes to how active he is, out looking for food.

Sit back and wait for everyone else's opinion.

when my spotted python was small I probably feed it about every 7-10 days depending on how big the food was but when it was adult size I had to cut back a bit as it sometimes refused a meal - and the mouse would be wasted on the bluetongues!!

Welcome...I feed my new childreni every 7-10 days could you plz post a bigger pic cause ya can't relli see it properly in the advar

No..pic isn't good. I will load a better one on here a bit later. Do you have a pic of yours Snow?

Hey Jordo...I will look out for the Jodo hood on Saturday and say hello.
lol, It says JORDO on the back

It'll be good to meet some fellow APSers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back