Irian jaya's..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
Just noticed someone on RDU selling irian jaya's far as I'm aware they are not legal to keep? (Although they let GTP's in from offshore....)

No, they're not legal here in Oz, and "they" don't "let GTPs in from offshore" either. Any reptiles coming in from overseas, unless with permits for zoos and scientific organisations, are smuggled in, they are definitely not "let in."

Jamie

No, they're not legal here in Oz, and "they" don't "let GTPs in from offshore" either. Any reptiles coming in from overseas, unless with permits for zoos and scientific organisations, are smuggled in, they are definitely not "let in."

Jamie

Ah ok so they just accept the fact that there are non-native GTP's already here?

Last edited:
New Guinea GTPs have been smuggled in for decades, and have been the founding stock of many collections, long before Aussie GTPs became available. They are very well established in many collections in this country, and recent (10 year) breeding breakthroughs have ensured that they will remain entrenched in the collections of the keeping community.

Now that the price of Aussie GTPs seems to have flatlined, there is increased interest in the various morphs and colour forms being bred from overseas animals, you can already see the prices rising for some of the more interesting forms.

Jamie

Seen quite a few illegal reptiles on that website for sale, although the ad's are quickly taken down, whether by an admin or someone has bought the reptile im not too sure, seen Chameleons and tortoises for sale on there before. Unfortunately, the wildlife smuggling trade is alive and well :(

Seen quite a few illegal reptiles on that website for sale, although the ad's are quickly taken down, whether by an admin or someone has bought the reptile im not too sure, seen Chameleons and tortoises for sale on there before. Unfortunately, the wildlife smuggling trade is alive and well :(

Could be captive bred specimens who have parents who come into the country before customs cracked down maybe....

But IJ is not so far away and probably some specimens are brought in (who were wild caught) as the IJ - NG - FNQld borders are very porous. How would one know if a specimen was a IJ or NG or FNQld of the same species anyway ?

Could be captive bred specimens who have parents who come into the country before customs cracked down maybe....

Short answer..... No

But IJ is not so far away and probably some specimens are brought in (who were wild caught) as the IJ - NG - FNQld borders are very porous. How would one know if a specimen was a IJ or NG or FNQld of the same species anyway ?

Unlikely,besides if someone did and bred them they would have to be halfwits to advertise them.

Most likely explanation to those suspect for sale ads is that they originate from overseas and are complete scams.

The FNQ "borders" are not that porous - movement of people and animals into Australia are fairly closely watched, road traffic has very few choices so bypassing quarantine inspections etc on the Cape is almost impossible. Certainly quarantine concerns are likely to be paramount, but there are watchers everywhere looking out for those indulging their interests in wildlife too.

Jamie

Jamie, as much as I would like to see it as you say it is, there is some undetected traffic both my air and sea. E.g. what's stopping from flying a private Cessna from some village airport in PNG to Mareeba airport or onto a private landing strip on grazing properties?

Jamie, as much as I would like to see it as you say it is, there is some undetected traffic both my air and sea. E.g. what's stopping from flying a private Cessna from some village airport in PNG to Mareeba airport or onto a private landing strip on grazing properties?

Yep Michael, I'm sure that happens, the far north is a huge & largely empty space, but probably smuggling Irian Jaya Carpets wouldn't be a priority. I was thinking more about opportunistic Aussies on their epic road trips rather than those more organised for smuggling high-end animals from Asia, and the fact that surface traffic is largely funneled through set points where quarantine stops are mandatory, and the cops can watch for those who may have been reported as suspicious. Nice talking this morning by the way matey.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back