Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
9 years old isnt too young !! Im 14 and i have 1 x childrens python and 1 x bearded dragon and this week i am picking up my first and probs not last woma !! Lol :)

never too young as long as there is a parent to supervise and help. my daughter is 1 year old yes she is exactly 15 months. i let her touch the snake and even hold it but i am always very close to her and watch every move. i let her cause she is a gentle child and i don't want her to be scared wen she is older. i don't want her to be one of those kids who see's a snake and runs off crying.

I personally think that a reptile is a far more suitable pet for a young person than say, a dog or a cat. That's where the novilty wears off I think.

I am very very very attached to my snake, but I'm sure he couldn't care less if he didn't see me (or any human) ever again -they just don't require human contact apart from us meeting their care needs - not like a dog, cat, bird etc.

The good thing is, when the young person wants to go out with their mates, go to parties and stay out a bit late - there is no panic that the reptile didn't get walked/fed etc etc - as the daily care factor is removed. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be checked - I check my Jungle daily, as it's important to know what their habits are and if there is any strange behavior present - but as a pet for a young person, you couldn't be making a better choice.

As long as you do 5 times the research than your son and keep on APS reading through pages and pages of helpful information, you will both be good reptile owners (the fact that you came onto the site and are asking questions is proof of that)

Someone above mentioned looking through the for sale section here... I bought my Jungle and my partner (centro) got his Bredli from reputable sellers on this site and we couldn't have been happier. I also recommend looking through to see what the prices of snakes are - also maybe make up a list of all the things you need and look at separate places for them. It's not about the cheapest stuff, it's about the best things for your personal set up.

If you are comfortable with a seller and they can offer you advice and confidence, then $500 for the lot is not too much. I spent that. Easily. Moose and Rapture were the cheapest parts :)

When is to young to have a pet? That its a reptile is irrelevant.

No way of course not i just truned 14 and got my first snake a woma python and on my 13th bday i got 2 bearded dragons so no i dont think 9 yrs is to young if that helps :D

My son had just turned 5 when we got him a Woma python...

But he had/has many pets since he was a toddler, firstly gold fish, then yabbies, water snails, a cat, hermit crabs, guinea pigs, chickens, blue tongue lizard and huge stick insects etc.

Plus had daily contact with the family dog (who recently died) from in-laws across the street.

So in a way, I'm trying to say he's been taught from early age to be gentle w/ cat and dog and to help out with cleaning/feeding etc. - That's my rule!
Plus he really understands now about life and death are part of keeping pets (not "just going to heaven")

But above all, at 5yo of age, although they have good intentions they're a bit more clumsy, so I make sure I supervise all the time when he handles any of them.

So in a short answer, they're never too young to have a pet, as long they're supervised by an adult.

Plus, a reptile is a lot easier to keep (no brushing, training, walking) and I believe more suitable for a child - plus there's the wow factor and he'll be the cool dude at school. :)

4 days a week w/ snake is plenty.
He may enjoy feeding it, so I would try plan feeding for last day he's w/ you so snake is digesting the next 3 when he's away.

I would say any Childrens family (x3) or a Woma are good starter snakes. And although I've been bitten by any of those 4 (somewhat "mellow") species described above, that's pretty much normal w/ any hatchling, regardless of species.

Good luck.

P.S. show us some photos when you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...I think rather than worryingabout the snake and your son bonding....maybe it is another way you can help to keep that conection with your son as it will be something you do together.

+1 :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its never too young to start the introductory to snakes lol, My best friend has wanted a snake for the past year after meeting and falling inlove with all my critters... But before she does decide to get one she wishes that her 2 year old daughter grows accustom to them and their ways, And as i know at this age they dont understand their grip and area's not to touch... My big Bredli and Coastal are perfect candidates for the intro. I watch the head and she plays with the middle lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back