Is anyone able to tell me what this snake breed is

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srb078

Reaction score
i found him last night at the bottom of my verandah stairs and he scared the daylights out of me! He raised up at my dog when she went near it (Which is what alerted me to it!!).

it was about 30cm long and relatively thin (pencil thin). Darker tail and lighter towards head - like a grey/brownish tinge on body. Head was more a yellowish colour. I didn't see the tongue.

I let him go in the hope that he wasn't venomous and would vanish for good!!! I live in NSW (Sutherland Shire) if that helps.

Any input would be great incase he (or she I guess!) reappears.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00022-20100407-2244.jpg
    IMG00022-20100407-2244.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 271
i think its a crowned snake of some sort, someone else with experience down sth maybe able to tell

Thanks!!! I got this reply from stacey at www.snakehandler.com.au

This snake looks to be one of the Crowned Snakes, either a White- Crowned or a Golden Crowned Snake. These snakes are mildly venomous although bites may cause some discomfort and they have not been extensively studied.

They feed exclusively on skinks and are nocturnal, not likely to bite but will rear up when provoked but unlikely to actually open their mouths. The White Crowned has a dark gray belly wheras the Golden Crowned has an orange belly.

Thanks for the answers though!!!

best guess is a crowned snake ... but hard to tell if its white or gold without a better image of the head...

DSCF1385.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg

did it look like this fella? the white crowned is quite bright in colour in regards to the white,,,,
the golden isnt as bright ...

I have been bitten by a white crowned ..bite stung a bit ,local swelling of around a 20c piece size on my hand ,and the sensation was to the effect of a cooling gel that you use on sore limbs ..so I got a cool but burning sensation ..if ya get my drift ...and they arent usually snappy but this fella (not the one in the pic) must have been having a bad night ;)

Guys, it's quite obviously a Golden-Crowned Snake. It is clear in the photo that the "crown" doesn't touch on the nape of the neck - this indicates it is a Golden-Crown. White-Crowneds, Dwarf-Crowneds and Northern Crowneds all have a crown that is one solid bar across the neck.

It's definitely 100% a Golden Crowned. You can see that the two gold stripes down the side of it's head don't join up as they do in a White Crowned. Plus the upper body is sort of dark brown, compared to that of a White Crowned that has a more black appearance.

Edit: Jonno beat me to it!

i dont know about obviously but sure why not...
just had a look at some pics of a golden crowned snake...
and it does seem to be the most likely candidate

It's also way out of range to be a White-Crowned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back