is breeding your own rats really worth it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemycoastal

Reaction score
i was thinking about it, and is is it worth it?
i mean dont you have to buy food for the rats?
and what do you breed them in?
im keen to give it a go but not sure how to go about it and what i would need to start.
also, my python is on frozen rats, so how would i kill the rats that are produced?
and how long does it take to breed them?

is the time and money spent breeding them worth it?

it is in the long run, i just have mine in a rack full of containers. they come into season every 4 to 5 days and are pregnant for just under a month and can have between 6 to 13 pups each. to kill them you gas them, then bag and freeze them, there are other methods but i think this one is the best and just defrost them in warm water as needed. And yeah only if you have more then a few snakes it is. Rats dont take much or cost much at all the feed. If you buy a rat and mouse mix, you can mis in with it, cerials that are in the pantry, fruit and veg.

Exactly what Wranga said. If you only have a few - it would be cheaper to buy for those few reptiles than to breed your own rodents...it requires, time, money...

to feed just a couple of snakes , then no its not worth it .
to feed 10+ snakes then yes i think in the long run its worth it .
as for the rest of your questions , why not do a search as there is a heap of info on this site.

Ive been breeding for many years and i find it worth it even back when i only had a couple of snakes.
As breeding rats ends up costing me zero dollars infact it even makes me a few bucks.
Any excess i have i sell as pets to a local petshop and that pays for any food/costs it takes to produce those plus the ones i use for food.
But you do need a good setup, i have large black tubs with mesh lids and i feed them on a pellet dog food that costs $22.50 for a 20kg bag and wood shaving come in a compressed bale that costs $14 and lasts months..
As for killing them a good wack on the head will kill them just fine.
As for time and effort i just fill up water bottles every second day and clean tubs once a week so really no time at all.

Depends on what you consider "worth it". You can save money, but it is more animals to care for and more animals that need care if you go away. My dogs go crazy at rodents, so it's not worth the hassle of trying to find somewhere to keep the rodents away from the dogs and then someone to care for the rodents as well as the snakes (dogs go to dog jail = kennel) during holidays. I'd rather buy a large freezer and buy rodents in bulk. I happily pay someone else to deal with the mess of rodents.

I have breeded them as pets and as food and doesnt cost that much rats eat everything including the food you eat give them ur left overs after dinner, or even cat food ,dog food, bird seed they eat everything. Same as ur mice i started when i only had one snake. and now i wanna get back into it. the only thing that cost the most is the rat tubes you buy thats it.

there are not many ppl left breeding rats.

This is something that seems to divide people on here. I only have five snakes and soon a couple of monitors but to me it's still worth it. It is quite rewarding doing it yourself and despite what everyone keeps saying it takes very little of your time if you have a small setup. Also it depends where you are getting your frozen rats. I just got home from Petbarn and I paid the equivalent to $4 a rat for fuzzies which is just crazy. However if you go to a breeder you can get them for much less (provided they have the stocks).

Yeah DIY feeders can save you a bit of money BUT it does take you away from the very reason you are breeding rodents in the first place.

Also it depends where you are getting your frozen rats. I just got home from Petbarn and I paid the equivalent to $4 a rat for fuzzies which is just crazy. However if you go to a breeder you can get them for much less (provided they have the stocks).
I agree that petshop prices are crazy. I get together with herp keeping friends and place large bulk orders from breeders. We find this very cost effective and we all have large freezers. You also have to plan ahead and order when you still have a few weeks' food so that you can handle delays for the breeder to collect the necessary stock.

Id agree, the gas and freeze is probably the kindest, less messy, less traumatic (for huma and rodent!) method. I would also consider if you got the stomach for it, frozen rat/mice is one thing, but having to kill yourself might not be everyones thing. Bi carb soda and vinigar (messy) or hear people using Soda streams (probably get one off ebay cheap, or bigW etc) for the 'gas' method. Also some swear by the 'flick' method, personally couldnt come as ever doing that (id have nightmares lol) go the gas!
Alot of us rat nuts lurk bunnings (or whatever hardware shop, or even reject shop/$2 shops for containers/tubs) for supplies.
Rats are pretty easily pleased. Aslong as bedding is kept clean, fresh water and supply of good food (pallets etc), perhaps add housing(any icecream containers work well, just cut entry hole) if your area gets very cold and havent a 'rat room' and plan to set up in just sheltered outside area. Rats can be suseptable to weather extremes (so keep in mind how hot it also gets where u plan set this up) Dont want to end up with roasted rattie for dinner :p
Except for the extra space and toys and social human interaction, this would be the conditions of any pet rat/breeding pet rat also. And apart from the shortened life span (obviously lol) so imo youd be taking proper care of them for the short life they have, its all you could aim and be expected to do.
As obviously youd want keep them healthy as youd not want feed sick rodent to your snake.
Oh, and good chance youd need learn about parasite control/treatment.
**Theres a few youtube links worth watching, some to show how NOT to do it (unless you want sick snake and be slammed for being jerk as they do in those commentries lol) but alot doing nice job, good space efficient racks and conditions. Better you set up=less work, better,healthier feeders.

Best luck.
*dont forget to also search youtube, I find easier to imagine when you can actually SEE what you might be getting into. You might find a whole new hobby too, Ive met alot of feeder breeders whove got into creating own lines of fancy rats (and yeah, most end up going to petstore for $) rest continue breeding programs. Obviously aim for feeder or fancier is going be similar, good health,good temprement (who wants be biten trying get snakes dinner even) and could have some fun trying make new markings etc while your at it :p why not. If you also dont mind handle them a bit too, you might make some good pets for shop!
By the way, on average most 'pet breeders' are charging $20-$45 each, most petshops charging $15-25 each..only difference is the pet breeders often make interest lists before even start litter, feeder breeding youd not have that hassle. Can always freeze extras to sell (not as much profit id imagine though)

omg! so sorry..didnt realise id typed so much *blush* lmao geez women can talk eh :p

thanks for all the replies guys!!
at the moment i only have one snake, but my mate is thinking of selling his jungle so im very interested in buying that from him!! i also am thinking a woma and bredli would be very nice :) and DEFINATELY an olive python. my list goes on and on, eventually, i would love a GTP if i ever win tattslotto haha. but im going to try get a few more snakes in the months to come so maybe breeding my own food would be good then, as i wouldnt want to end up with hundreds of rats id struggle to get rid of now.

Yeah for one snake even those of use are for it would be hard pressed to say it's worth it. You can always just start with one pair and see how much excess you have. You don't need to start with a full colony.
For the Olive you might wanna start looking at breeding your own rabbits too :p

haha however many i get all depends on how much $$$ i get. The one thing i dont understand is, what gas do you use??
and how do you get it?

on a side note what gas is best used to euthanise the rats or what ones are safe more to the point like could you use the gas from a bbq cylinder???

Gas from a bbq cylinder is a no no. I don't think ingesting propane would be a fun death. CO2, CO and recently I read argon are the typically used ones

It has to be cheaper to grow your own.If you buy them from a bussiness they pay tax, rent , wages and try to make a profit, which you don't have to if you breed your own.

cool just wasnt sure i usually just use a blunt object at the base of the skull i think its called cervical dislocation but because we have had to increase the number we breed thinking to do a few in one go using gas may be easier any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back