Is he normal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
I was feeding my 5 month old Spotted python the other day, he was hanging up on his favourite branch and I was trying to tempt him down to the ground to eat but he had other ideas. He grabbed the food (pinkie rat - the petshop was out of the equivalent sized mice) and proceeded to eat it while hanging upside down off the branch. I've seen GTP's do this but is it normal behaviour for a spotted?

He's been in his warm hide since which is pretty standard for him.

Spotted are a semi-arboreal species.
My Stimson almost always eats up in the air hanging off something

My spotted does the same thing, coils its food up whilst suspended... in the wild, they catch bats on the wing as they exit their cave at dusk so yes it's normal.

My spotted does the same thing, coils its food up whilst suspended... in the wild, they catch bats on the wing as they exit their cave at dusk so yes it's normal.
Are you sure you aren't confusing them with Rough-Scaled Pythons? Attenborough shows them in one of his documentaries.

Totally normal. In fact it can be an indication that they are hungry when they are perched on a branch with their head facing down toward the floor. It's a natural ambush position.

Totally normal. In fact it can be an indication that they are hungry when they are perched on a branch with their head facing down toward the floor. It's a natural ambush position.
I'll keep that in mind thanks

Spotted the little one, still sporting a bit of a lump after his feed 2 days ago.

I’m hoping that the pet shop will have adult mice this week - he went well on the pinky rat so adult mice should be good.

1c79218e186af6bd808bcebc5053643e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back