Is it Eastern Brown or Coastal Taipan??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylesg11

Reaction score
Hi is anyone able to identify this snake for me. I found it in my backyard yesterday and have been searching for an answer but at this stage I'm not sure if it's an Eastern Brown or a Coastal Taipan? Any help is appreciated
Hope the photos are big enough!

Attachments

• snake11.JPG
    snake11.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • snake22.JPG
    snake22.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 685
Clearly an Eastern Brown Snake from the head shape and body scalation.

Thanks for the quick replys everyone sorry if it's a common thread I did try and search before I did it but the last thread I read everyone was undecided. Now I just have to teach my 4 yo how to have a healthy respect for our new reptile friend

Iceman...you should post that photo in the other thread......we have a unanimous decision here!

Thanks for the quick replys everyone sorry if it's a common thread I did try and search before I did it but the last thread I read everyone was undecided. Now I just have to teach my 4 yo how to have a healthy respect for our new reptile friend
No not that it's common just the debate in the last thread lol.

The gold coast bulletin bought out a poster " COASTAL KILLER " pics of the coastal taipan was a eastern brown, the common death adder was a tiger snake and the spotted black was a colletts snake, Ive kept the poster to show people that know little about our Australian species of snakes and how easy it is to miss identify.

Im sure if it was i and had little experience with reptiles i could make the same mistake, at the end of the day where only human.
cheers steve

My mum actually just sent me the proper head shots from one of her snake books - of both snakes with makes it easier to identify them as per their scales. I'm just glad I got a photo to be able to identify it. Thanks again

Wood ford blue mountains ? If so we dont get taipans around here and with this weather im suprised we get anything

woodford QLD - North of Brissie - I'm on 3/4 of an acre just out of town with a lot of bushland at the back of block so was expecting something. Just wanted to know what

Another name for your coastal tiapan up your way is The Eastern Brown. I just finished a venemous snake handling course and the herpetologist mentioned this to us.

Another name for your coastal tiapan up your way is The Eastern Brown. I just finished a venemous snake handling course and the herpetologist mentioned this to us.

What the?????????? How can you do such a course without being able to spell venomous... and the info is totally wrong.

I think it's important for snake handlers to be aware of alternative names for snakes in their areas as some of these "other" names are well entrenched. Common names can be very confusing and misleading but I still think they are worth knowing.

Although I'm not from Queensland I have never heard of Eastern Brown being used as an alternative name for the Taipan(except in cases of misidentity as has happened on several threads here lately!) I have heard Taipans called "Traveller Browns" before. Just out of interest.....Taipan means something like big boss man and is apparently used quite a bit in parts of asia for "important" businessmen(if there is such a thing!).

What the?????????? How can you do such a course without being able to spell venomous... and the info is totally wrong.
Why is this info totaly wrong. And yes, I did do a snake handling course recently.and was told that some people call the coastal tiapan the eastern brown. Ok, so I spelt venomous wrong, so what. So, what sort of snake do you think it is? I have another way of telling what sort of snake this is, and it isn't by scale count. I'm curious to know what sort of snake you think this is? Cheers Carol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back