is it just more or is it anoying?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelialover

Reaction score
hey guys,

if find it annoying when people contently refer to my python as a snake, its not a snake its a python, I'm trying to teach my family to be...... politically correct? (wot ever you call it) and not call him a snake, even tho his in the family, his a constrictor even tho i know uneducated people say snake because they don't know the difference, it doesn't piss me off but it gets annoying, all my mates are like, yo check out Nathans snake, or man can i hold your snake?....Python dude, python ;).

just wondering if anyone else has the same...situation (not problem) as me and finds it a bit incorrect and annoying.

maybe its just me :p

when ya say snake people cringe. when u say python there interested, there's a difference :p

I hate it when my family refer to my pets, whenever someone is over they always act as if they own her and know everything about her! It also seriously annoys me when people wonder what it eats, and i have had questions like: Is it poisonous? which seriously annoys me as it's a bloody python, and "does it eat seeds, fruit/vegetables or crickets" I mean are people really that ignorant!!?

gotta be careful of dem der carpet snakes they breed with browns and tigers all the time......... i have actualy had an old guy say that to me lol

Everyone that comes over here, just seems to refer to my female diamond as 'it'. The dogs are refered to by their names, or 'she did this' etc. but not Pebbles, She's an it

yea thats it they are snakes, but id prefer if people called him python then ya can avoid the question as animal collector6 said, 'is it poisonous' lol, like cmon! haha, yea my friends call him 'it' most the time, but family calls him slash, cause theve already taklen to him :D, but dont want to handle him :p lol, must be me but ive never had a fear of snakes, always wanted to handle them, love the feeling of them slithering aorund my hand and arm, its....sexy :p lol, there no more dangerious than a randomn dog, or a big lizard to me, its just how there brought up, like most other animals. i encourage everyone that comes over to hold him, get people away from the sterotype of, ;it will bite' or 'it wille at me' HAHAH

it's a snake... that's what it is... the type of snake it is is a python.... if someone has a dog... they have a dog.... it may be a labrador, but it's a dog... same thing....

I think i understand what the REAL issue is - the stigma the word "snake" has... it's not specific enough to show how harmless and lovely your pet is... and I get that... but you've chosen a pet which is not commonly accepted in every household. to expect people to get the right terms is a bit of a stretch... it's fantastic you're educating them, but be a little more understanding too.

try not to think of people as just being uneducated, but as uneducated in reptiles and the like... I think it's pretty cool that your friends are INTERESTED in your pet... try not to get too hung up on what they call it. I don't get upset when someone guesses my dog as a ****zu, when it's a maltese... perhaps trying to shift the focus into the positives would help?? i don't know...

Morelialover, it's you who got it wrong. No offence but this is how it goes. All snakes, including pythons are snakes. Pythons and non-pythons do not belong to the same family. Family is a specific taxonomic unit, not like your family. Constrictors are not only pythons but also boas and even some elapids. The term "constrictors" describes their mode of killing prey, it's not a taxonomic group.
So, it seems that those "uneducated people", as you described them are right and you are wrong.
Sorry to break the bad news.

its not a snake its a python, I'm trying to teach my family to be...... politically correct?

but let me guess, you refer to Canines as Dogs, and Felines ad Cats ?? don't get hung up on words, if you feel the need then try and educate them but dont get yourself tied up in knots over it....

People always ask me those kind of questions in regards to my snakes but alot of them don't know any better, so I just answer them without sounding condescending.
I've had people ask if my snakes eat crickets and I just say No. I've had people ask me if they are venomous/have fangs, and again I just say No.
I'd rather try and educate my friends and family than give them sarcastic or rude answers....

Alot of people wouldn't know any better than to think all of our snakes are blood-thirsty vipers, because snakes have always been portrayed as the highly deadly spawn of the devil.

Mine too!! Only a few people call my snakes by their names....

Ooops that was in reply to captive_fairy's post.

mk i agree with somthings u guys said (not gonna stuff around with quotes), and taking things outa proportion, all im saying is im trying to get people to call him a python not a snake to disencoruage that fear of 'snake', python is a much more welcoming name. and yes i know theres snakes, duuh im not 5 years old, but as i said, snake is a more frightening term. and when i say uneducated obviously i mean in reptiles its not liek they didnt go to school LOL. and yes its a constrictore as thats its method of kill. dont knwo why u brought that up, thats obvious, i never said there the only species of 'snake' that constricts. and to whoever said im gettign tide up in knots over it, as i said it dosnt piss me fof its just a bit anoying as im trying to teach them to say python and get away from 'snake'. its not liek they say, 'hey u got a snake' 'its a ******n python!', NO, its liek this 'hey you got a snake' 'yea man i got a python, his names slash' thats a quote from my mates from yesterday. i think theres a bit of missunderstanding here. anyway im over it lol (this thread that is) its branching off i all direction away from the original post of discussing what people call your 'python' and/ or 'snake' and how it effects you, if at all.

Yeah, a lot of my family and friends don't even go in my herp room. So to actually have people interested in them is fantastic. At least asking questions shows they want to learn. I only really get visiting kids wanting to check out my room, and hold a snake and have the beardies out etc, but most people still don't even recognise them as pets really.

So I'd be happy to have friends and family interested, and not get hung up on the minor details like them calling it a snake instead of a python. Just add the official naming of the animals into part of the education.

I find that some people react worse to the word python than snake at times to be honest, they immediately think "killer-strangling-humongous-monsters" But I have to agree with waterrat, pythons are snakes, and should be called as such.

lvoemydragons; yea true, i spose my family and friends being interested in him is somthing im taking for granted, but i like for people to acknolodge his a python. spose its just personal, others might 'want to' call there pythons snakes, but in my family (my step dad in purticular, who is **** scared of snakes) i like to keep it to python for his sake and just a bit less intimidating.
thals: yea ive never come across somone who has reacted worse to python than snake, but i defiently dont doubt it happens lol obviously pythons are snakes, but python reassures the fact there not venomous, too anyone who knows a bit about them. general rule, if its got python in its name iots not venomous, and alot fo people know that so thats what im going off of. :)

once again its all personal taste isnt it? i want a red belly one day, and THAT ill call a snake, as it is, a venomous snake. :)

0.o

Yes I agree 100% I would never touch a creepy "snake" but pythons are really nice and not spooky at all. er

0.o

Trew sum fings liek dat can anoi me. I fink we shood call dem chordates insted of snaeks coz it dusnt scair peepl leik snake dus. An it is trew day r chordates coz dey eever have or had a notochord a hollow dawsal cord also pharengeal slits a endostyle and a tale afta der bum.

Lol yea sum fings leik dat annoi me!

Morelialover, i herd u liek mudkips...

It usually goes:

Me - "I have a snake."
Them - "Oh, yeah. What sort? Is it a python?"

Anyway. Point is: Even people who don't own/interact with snakes know that a python is a snake...

No matter how much fairy dust you try to sprinkle over a python it is still a snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back