Is it safe ?

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Bl69aze, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Sorry... the question was is it safe to plug a mat with a thermostat (that I have no idea if it’s doing it’s job) into a proper thermostat... I am of the mindset that it will do some dodgy things if it’s turning off at the plug (the stand alone thermostat) rather than the inbuilt mat thermostat that turns off at 50°c critical temps
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jan 18, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2018 ---
    My hotspots getting to around 40° and seems to move around which is *|€~€]*~ annoyingm

2. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

If they are good ones it should not be a problem it will cut out when it reaches the lowest set temp.of either controller

3. Bl69aze

That’s the problem with the mat.. it has no numbers or anything.. just a dial of off on one end to the highest saying “on” which it sky rockets in temps and I have to somehow work the temps there

4. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

Then turn the bad one to Max temp. and plug that into the good one you trust and set that for your Max temp.
    That should work best or safest

Scutellatus and Bl69aze like this.
  5. Bl69aze

Set what to my max temp? 36? Or the 50 of the inbuilt

6. kankryb

kankryb Active Member

The one you trust set that for your 36 Max and plug that into the wallsucket and then plug the dodgy one into that so no matter what the dodgy one says temp is it is the first one that controls it unless the dodgy one cut out below 36

Bl69aze likes this.
  7. Bl69aze

Ok I’ve done that.. now where’s the best place to use a probe.. under substrate? Above substrate? She likes to dig sometimes

8. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

100% correct. And thats why I ran everything through a sub board. Sounds like your mat is the type made for water beds. Probably isn't but sounds like the similar type, because I've seen them with no numbers on the dial. What Kankryb is saying is the most obvious practical advice anyone can give. As far as the probe goes, if its in the enclosure the snake will move it off the mat and there goes everything that your trying to achieve.

9. Bl69aze

It’s made for reptiles says to keep away from water :p, so what should I do then regarding the probe

Edit: what I do in the tub is have the probe itself sit under a wall of the hide

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

heatmats come with little rubber feet to supply air gap
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Jan 18, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 18, 2018 ---
    that foam you talk about is the glue designed to hold it under the tank,once you peel it off it doesn't work the same;I have used small strips of timber to hold it up under other tanks and it works okay

11. Bl69aze

Huh? It’s definitely a foam like a styrofoam box (picture is off google but it looks like the stuff on the left)

F466F6F7-5E2D-4C19-9ABC-570F75819E5E.jpeg

12. Prof_Moreliarty

Prof_Moreliarty Well-Known Member

@dragonlover1 i know they come with the feet but under the weight of a fish tank they do very little.

Flaviemys purvisi likes this.
  13. dragonlover1

Hmmm that's weird I've never seen heatmats with ( EPS) polystyrene on them???
    Shouldn't be under them either, should be an air gap

Scutellatus likes this.
  14. Bl69aze

I believe it has something to do with promoting the heat to go upwards as glass as we all know isn’t great for heating so the styrofoam guides it up rather than spreading it

Not sure if I said it clear enough but the styrofoam is on the tank itself under the glass

15. dragonlover1

yeah but EPS is a type of plastic and prone to melting ,it's not a great middleman but a great outer covering which is why it is used in eskies etc.

16. Scutellatus

Scutellatus Well-Known Member

Styrofoam won't conduct heat upwards very well, it will be insulating the heat from the glass. As I said earlier cut the styrogoam out so the mat fits, making sure to leave an air gap around the mat.
    Maybe bin the dodgy mat and buy a new one also.

dragonlover1 and Foozil like this.
  17. Bl69aze

It’s not really dodgy map it’s a big brand name.. just they could have done the thermostat part better

18. saximus

saximus Almost Legendary

Are they both on/off type thermos or is one a dimming or pulse porportional type? If it's the former, there is no issue with connecting them in series. As has been said, it will just make one of them redundant. If it's the latter, it could be problematic. Thermostats don't stop short circuits from potentially starting a fire though. That's what circuit breakers and fuses are for.

The point about it being a brand name and therefore safe is also a bit misguided. There is/was a quite famous brand which unfortunately became even more famous (infamous?) for spontaneous combustion.