Is my lizard losing his toes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
8 weeks ago my Western Blue Tongue had a bad shed and all 4 feet retained the skin. I soaked him and rubbed off the skin. His feet looked red after it did it, but I was sure I got it all. To stop this from happening again, I sprayed him with water and dampened his substrate when he was due to shed again (which was today). It worked some what and all the skin bar 2 feet came off. I soaked him for over an hour and the one foot's skin came of really well. But then there was this little foot. It looks just simply terrible and to me, it looks like he is losing the tips of his toes from old skin. Its so red looking I don't want to keep rubbing and soaking it.
I have purchased the gear to put him in an outdoor pit as the air in my home is just too warm and dry and I don't want this to happen again. I believe being outdoors with rain (and sprinklers in the summer) will stop this from ever happening again.
But in the mean time, what are people's thoughts? Does he need to see a vet? Or is what's done is done and I just need to keep the area clean and dry until they drop off (if they drop off).
I just hope he isn't in too much pain :(

IMG_4290 (2).jpg

when you were getting the skin off are you sure you didn't do that thing where you tear the skin off when it's not wet

ouch! Well I soaked him for almost 1 and a half hours. And I didn't pull at the skin, just gently rub it down - like rolling down pantyhose. But I do agree it looks red raw like he has lost skin.
What about the tips? They look like they are being cut off by the darker skin.

This is one of those few times where I'd say get an urgent opinion from an experienced reptile vet - definitely a circulatory problem happening there. ASAP. It could easily lose all those red toes if the problem is not diagnosed urgently.

Jamie

Dr. Bruce Moore at Warnboro Vetrinary Hospital is the best reptile vet down that way.

Blue

I actually saw Tim at Wattle Grove Vet Hospital. His foot wasn't as bad as it looked. The swelling went down over night and the tips of the toes started to dry and scab ready to fall off. The vet said its a common problem in bluetongues, specially captive indoor lizards. The cause being substrate. It absorbs moisture (as we know) but also sucks the moisture out of the lizard's feet during a slough - resulting in retained gloves. But for my little guy, it wont be an on going problem as he will be going in an outdoor pit very soon and will get the correct amount of moisture to assist with the sheds, but not cause reparatory infections.

I actually saw Tim at Wattle Grove Vet Hospital. His foot wasn't as bad as it looked. The swelling went down over night and the tips of the toes started to dry and scab ready to fall off. The vet said its a common problem in bluetongues, specially captive indoor lizards. The cause being substrate. It absorbs moisture (as we know) but also sucks the moisture out of the lizard's feet during a slough - resulting in retained gloves. But for my little guy, it wont be an on going problem as he will be going in an outdoor pit very soon and will get the correct amount of moisture to assist with the sheds, but not cause reparatory infections.

Glad to hear that he's going to be ok :) thanks for the info too - good to know!

Hey,
That's great to hear. A worry off your mind!

There are two Tims at Wattle Grove, T1 is full time and T2 is a few hours on a weekwnd once a month. Which one did you see?

I would have hesitation recommending either Tim at Wattle Grove in addition to Bruce. The only reason I did not was that I thought you were located a long way south.

Just out of curisity, what substrate did you have with the bluey?

Cheers,
Blue

He was on a mixture of kritters crumble and breeders choice substrate. It's better for them to be on news paper or fake grass, but then they can't dig and bury themselves. From what I have learnt, it's best for them to be homed outside in a more natural environment on soil, sand and mulch.
i couldn't tell you which tim I saw, but I went on a Tuesday. So that should answer your question.

Close call stimilove. Have you got any books on keeping lizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back