Is my Stimson Python about to shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slimshady101

Reaction score
I own a Stimson Python who is almost 1 year old, and have owned him for about 1 month. His last shed, according to previous owner's records, was on 16/10.
He has been feeding once a week and very well and I last fed him on 28/11. The next day, he stayed in his hide all day and has been in there since. I have been checking on him daily and today, took him out of his hide to get a proper look at him. He had defecated in his hide, which I don't think is normal behaviour.
His skin does look darker than usual but his eyes are not cloudy.

Is this shedding behaviour?

There have been no changes to his enclosure or diet.

Please help, I am a first-time snake owner and it would be much appreciated.

Sounds like he going to shed to me. It is about the right time frame and the behaviour sounds right. Also a snake does not care where it deficates and will sometimes crawl through it , lay in it or even eat it on the odd occasion.

Sounds like he going to shed to me. It is about the right time frame and the behaviour sounds right. Also a snake does not care where it deficates and will sometimes crawl through it , lay in it or even eat it on the odd occasion.

The research I'd done had been telling me a whole number of behaviours for shedding snakes. I wasn't sure and have been getting slightly worried.
So thank you very much for the help. :)

Our spotty has shed twice since we owned her.Prior to shedding both times she unloaded big time in the hide with lots of liquid and poo much more pungent than usual .Then she sheds in one neat go.Last shed was 26.11.13.
Then she is hungry.

Snakes will drop their fecal matter wherever they want. They don't take on the principle of 'don't poop where you hide'. If he is darker and keeping to himself he is probably shedding. Based on what you have written though you have absolutely nothing to be worried about. One of my baby carpets just trashed her cage with poo and looks darker but her eyes aren't cloudy. I assume she will shed in the next week or so. It's easy to freak out however you have nothing to worry about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back