Is my Stimsons python a Guinness World record?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emoly

Reaction score
I purchased a 2yr old male in mid-December last year. He's just shed for a second time and is now a whopping 150cm long (single shed measured flat and unstretched).

I can't find anything saying they can grow over 120cm.

I got him at a reputable aquarium and he looks like a stimmy to me. Is all the source info wrong or have I got the wrong snake?

Alternatively is he just the longest stimmy known to man?

Attachments

• 20210108_203516.jpg
    20210108_203516.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210108_203711.jpg
    20210108_203711.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 31
Thanks, that's new to me. How does one measure a snake?

There isn't a quick, easy and accurate method. This is one of the many reasons why snake lengths are so poorly reported, although the main reason they are almost always overstated is ego. Sheds being longer than snakes is another reason.

The most popular methods of snake measurement include the string method and computer analysis programs, both of which tend to be used poorly giving bad results.

Captive Stimson's routinely exceed 120cm, but I've never heard a genuine example of one reaching 150cm. Only Spotteds and Antaresia hybrids have exceeded 150cm to my knowledge.

http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

is probably the most accurate unless u can get your snake completely straight against a measuring tape, I find sheds are roughly 10-20+% longer than the snake itself

I find something similar, around 20% on average, but they can be over 50% longer, or sometimes even shorter than the snake if they set while crinkled up. If you moisten them and stretch them out (which often happens as the snake comes out of it) the skin can be considerably stretched and then it sets when it dries, but even without any stretching, the skin between the scales relaxes and the scales are separated, while on the actual snake they overlap.

Those programs are reasonably accurate if used properly, but generally people don't know how to use them properly and have forced perspective issues without realising.

I find something similar, around 20% on average, but they can be over 50% longer, or sometimes even shorter than the snake if they set while crinkled up. If you moisten them and stretch them out (which often happens as the snake comes out of it) the skin can be considerably stretched and then it sets when it dries, but even without any stretching, the skin between the scales relaxes and the scales are separated, while on the actual snake they overlap.

Those programs are reasonably accurate if used properly, but generally people don't know how to use them properly and have forced perspective issues without realising.
Thanks!

I managed to finally get him to line up with my tape measure (the soft and flexible sort, not the rigid sort most people have) and can confirm he's only 120cm.

Thanks!

I managed to finally get him to line up with my tape measure (the soft and flexible sort, not the rigid sort most people have) and can confirm he's only 120cm.

So the skin was about 30% longer than the snake, which is pretty normal. 120cm isn't going to break any records, but it's still a decent sized Stimmy :)

Latest posts

Back