Is this Lizard pregnant ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianinoz

Reaction score
2jbvbr9.gif

I think Lizzy is pregnant ?

Do you have a side on or underside shot of her?

Do you have a side on or underside shot of her?
She's a wild lizard, so I don't think she'll let me grab her and forgive me or trust me for it afterwards (yet).
No underbelly shots.

I did take some side shots when she was up on the top of the loungechair and watching the TV .... seems to like the TV. I'll have to download them from the camera (will do that later).

How can you tell from the side on a lizard ?

She's been a bit broody. And doesn't really seem to need to eat much, been a few days since I've seen her eat, just comes out of her "nest" somewhere in or under the chairs, hangs out with me while she warms-up for a while, does a little wonder about and then retires again for the rest of the day.

35kpox5.jpg

does that help ?

Last edited:
I'm so glad she's still with you!
I, and no doubt many other APS members, were worried when you said you hadn't seen her for a while.

How exciting if she is gravid(?) you get to share a unique experience with a beautiful, wild creature.
Forgive my ignorance, does that particular species lay eggs or give birth to live young?

Thank you for such a prompt response, Zacthefrog.

thats fine :) and ianinoz if she is gravid there must be a male so keep your eyes open :)
Not seen another lizard inside lately , just Lizzy, if she has a male hanging about he's keeping a very low profile.
Always known that Lizzy goes outside (I've seen her peaky at me sometimes from under the compressor unit , rarely poos anywhere I can see them inside, very clean little critter, though she does have the occasional accident (I've never told my wife about them, I just wait for the poos to dry and make them disappear)). Maybe the male sneaks inside for a quicky or she goes outside to visit him.
Would she have gotten pregnant before she went into brumation maybe ?

My wife and I are thrilled that she might be pregnant, she's no thrilled with idea having stack of baby lizards running around the house. LOL

I'll have to take more photos of her when she's not too moody to allow me and see how her belly bulge develops. (Every 3 or 4 days I guess). I'm presuming her pregnancy will only last a couple of months ???? (I'm clueless !?!?!?!?)

Last edited:
Just a sec, I'll find the gestation period for this species.

edit: Sorry, no info, only that they give birth in Summer

Last edited:
I wish I knew when she did the deed if she is. Came out of brumation looking fatter than when she was before.

You should be able to feel the eggs if she has ovulated but I think it is too early. E. tympanum and E. qouyii females I collected last year ovulated september/october.

You should be able to feel the eggs if she has ovulated but I think it is too early. E. tympanum and E. qouyii females I collected last year ovulated september/october.

She's a wild skink who adopted us and made herself at home inside our home with us who is free to come and go as she pleases. She's not that tame (yet) that I'd risk my relationship and risk destroying the trust I've built up with her. Working slowly and patiently on building a stronger relationship with her, at her pace.

I've only touched her once (only because she touched me first - was tapping on the outside of my thigh of her own accord-she backed off a few inches and gave me that "did I say you could touch me, how dare you" look. :lol:

Last edited:
They do give birth in summer around Christmas, have had one give birth in my hand actually, not sure about much else in their breeding cycle. Does look a little pregnant but at this stage of the gestation it should not be so pronounced that you can really tell, when it gets closer to summer it is very obvious.

Doesn't look pregnant to me, just well fed :)

This is why I asked.

We did have a roach infestion when Lizzy was brumating, couple of mice moved in (I dispatched one of these), haven't seen many roaches and not a single mouse sign since Lizzy came back.
I've only seen Lizzy eat 3 roaches and cricket since she came back and I've given her nothng (planning on buying some mealworms to offer as treats and try to handfeed her with).

She doesn't seem very interested in food at the moment, there are 2 dead roaches on her food lid in the corner of the room waiting for her and she's seen them, I saw her glance at them yesterday. She drunk all the water I left for her next it (in a takeaway lid), full one day , bone dry the next.

Maybe she's stuffed herself silly and to nearly bursting point with roaches and doesn't have the room, this explains why she's not hungry and just wants to hangout for hours on her fav hot spot maybe.

Gonna watch her closely and keep taking photos regularly - even if it's for my own benefit and that of my grandkids (one day I'll be able tell lots of stories about living and being friends with a wild lizard and Lizzy might not be around then for them to experience interacting with her or to see her for themselves).

Just heard her wiggling about somewhere under or behind or inside the corner unit.,,, maybe she's sleeping in because I keep the lights on the TV on and she's kept up too late. .....

Crossing everything crossable that she is in the family way though .... :)

Last edited:
Hehe! She's got you right where she wants you hasn't she? :p
When our wild skinks are pregnant they keep eating heaps anyway

Yes it's crazy, from what I've seen our southerns must reach breeding age at around 4 years old, but I know of one that would've been breeding for five years at least now! But skinks to tend to have a long lifespan I guess..

Hi Ianinoz,

That is an awesome situation you are in, having a wild skink live with you in your house.

What climate are you in?

If you are in a southern climate, I would think it is too early for it to be gravid, and it would be very strange if it went into brumation already gravid.

Most skinks mate a month or two after coming out of brumation, and would be gravid for 3 to 5 months.
so I would think they would mate in September through to November perhaps, but I am no expert.

Does anyone know the exact species?

I can look up breeding details for you if it is identified.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back