Is this normal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently fed my Albino Darwin on the 1st of June and then he took a another rat today. My question is are these dents in his muscles normal? Ive never seen this before in his body. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 162
They look a little like a rib cage, his got nice colouring too, if your worried about it maybe message someone on this site that has had many years of experience with snakes?

I have never seen this before but if i saw it on one of my snakes i would be taking him/her to the vet. At least give the vet a call and discuss your concerns.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't look like a problem to me. The snake looks very distended though - the skin is quite stretched between the scales - I would back off the food significantly. If you fed it on June 1, why would you feed it again on June 4? If the snake is adult or sub-adult, fortnightly feeding would be a far healthier option.

Are you routinely feeding it this often? If so, you risk serious health issues - obese snakes may be just as likely to have issues as obese humans.

Jamie

id agree with jamine it dosnt seem like to much to worry about give it a few days and it should go away when the food is digested. If it dosnt then i would call up the vet.
Cheers Liam

It happens with all of mine when I give them a large feed. It happens a day or so after the feed, I'm not entirely sure what causes it but I suspect it's something to do with the digestion process.

Thanks guys,

He takes food around every 4 weeks. Quite fussy actually. The rats that I have given him arnt that big, that's why I offered him another a few days later. I'l see how he goes after digesting. Thanks again for your responses

Be sure to chuck up a full body picture after digestion, I'd love to see the whole pattern, he looks like quite the looker lol

It happens with all of mine when I give them a large feed. It happens a day or so after the feed, I'm not entirely sure what causes it but I suspect it's something to do with the digestion process.

Large food items can often take a while to break down, so the food animal bloats (swells) inside the snake before the gut wall is broken through by the digestive juices. It seems to happen especially in summer or in a very warm enclosure, when the decay process briefly outruns the digestive process. Not usually a problem, but one of the reasons why snakes should not be fed during extreme heat waves - there is always a chance that food rots more quickly than the digestive processes can cope with, and can lead to regurgitation and its associated problems.

Jamie

Large food items can often take a while to break down, so the food animal bloats (swells) inside the snake before the gut wall is broken through by the digestive juices. It seems to happen especially in summer or in a very warm enclosure, when the decay process briefly outruns the digestive process. Not usually a problem, but one of the reasons why snakes should not be fed during extreme heat waves - there is always a chance that food rots more quickly than the digestive processes can cope with, and can lead to regurgitation and its associated problems.

Jamie

I thought it would be something along those lines, thanks mate.

Doesn't look like a problem to me. The snake looks very distended though - the skin is quite stretched between the scales - I would back off the food significantly. If you fed it on June 1, why would you feed it again on June 4? If the snake is adult or sub-adult, fortnightly feeding would be a far healthier option.

Are you routinely feeding it this often? If so, you risk serious health issues - obese snakes may be just as likely to have issues as obese humans.

Jamie

Jamie I would have thought you would ask the age and weight of this snake before you made such assumptions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back