Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby-van

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is it pretty common for most pythons to be cage defensive? My little 6 month old Diamond Python is quite cage defensive and a little snappy when you try to get her out of her click-clack, but once she's out she's as timid and cuddly as ever.

I'm thinking it could also be to do with her being so young? Do they grow out of it a bit?

Very common question-when you are small you will fight. They do grow out of it with regular handling.
Also depends on their nature, my coastal never bites but a bunch of people here have been through the same thing.

Keep trying w her and be patient. And don't worry it doesn't hurt.

Takes time, your big and ugly (in the snakes eyes :p) So ofcourse its going to defend itself. My Bedli is if you linger, grab him quick with confidence and your fine, my two stimsons are fine, and my little carpet is fine unless you bate him (again linger your hand...he gets snappy).
Breeds are different also. You should findd that your diamond will grow out of it pretty quickly and become very placid!

I am going to make myself a dick again for repeting what has been said many times before: "cage defence / protectiveness" is a myth spun by people who know very little about animal behaviour and are unable to correctly interpret such.

I am going to make myself a dick again for repeting what has been said many times before: "cage defence / protectiveness" is a myth spun by people who know very little about animal behaviour and are unable to correctly interpret such.

your dead right michael.

i really dislike that term. very misleading and inaccurate.

Yeah they aren't defending their house....
defending themselves the poor thing. I'd bite you too if you tried to grab me with a giant hand

Yeah totally wrong interpretation by keepers who think this is what's happening.

It is a flight or fight response and given that the snake is in a cage/tub or whatever giving it no chance to escape then the only other alternative is to fight.People need to understand that nearly everything to a small snake is perceived as a threat and the fight response is being caused by stress.

The notion is fundamentally wrong because snakes are not territorial animals and "cage protection" implies the snake is protecting its surroundings, i.e. territory.
Captive bred snakes retain natural instincts, particularly those most important ones; self protection, feeding and reproduction. Aggression towards us is self defence, nothing else.

But some people would argue; "once I take the snake out of its enclosure, it calms down and doesn't bite any more"..... (although many snakes still bite, no matter what). The snake calms down because your approaching hand is no longer a threat, the snake can move freely on your hands and it's time for it to be aware of its surroundings in case some different danger lurks around. The snake doesn't calm down because he likes you, just like it's not protecting its cozy cage because it likes it - your snake would rather be somewhere in the bush where it could escape from danger without going into a defensive mode.

I've always read cage defensive as defensive IN the cage, rather then defensive OF the cage. Interpretation I guess.

your dead right michael.

i really dislike that term. very misleading and inaccurate.

Yeah they aren't defending their house....
defending themselves the poor thing. I'd bite you too if you tried to grab me with a giant hand

It's not me coming up with this term.. it's because I've read this 100 times through these forums and everywhere else on the net. I'm new to snake-keeping so I've been reading as much as I can about them and I see this term pop up non-stop.

hey dw we know it's everyone, not judging you at all :)
I mean you go into a reptile store and half the sellers tell you it's cage defensive.

Yeah all good. I know snakes aren't territorial and this was more of a defense reaction of themselves, but it only happens when I get her out of her enclosure so that's why I thought the term "cage defensive" was applied to it.. If I let her slither around the couch or she goes under something and I pick her up she's fine, it's just getting her out of her enclosure.

Does it tend to ease up as they get older and more used to handling? She's only 6 months, but handled every day.

By no means shape or form trying to start an argument but there are cases of people that have been "chased" by brown/taipan's (don't know which species exactly) around the Gladstone-rockhampton to Mackay region. Is something is chasing you then to me that says its defending the location where it is currently at...would you not agree? (remember not trying to start an arugment or anything just clarifying for future reference :) )

Wat it is is either a feeding response if it's fed in cage like my spotted python or it's the fear that ahh its coming to get me again but then after the snake is caught its like I give up or this isn't so bad. But that's just my thought

I've seen Waters go nuts when taking them out of their enclosure, remain placid once out and then start going nuts again when returning them back. Alot of mock striking, headbutting the glass and the odd bite as well but only ever when taking them out or putting them back in. I have always considered them to be cage defensive after witnessing that.

By no means shape or form trying to start an argument but there are cases of people that have been "chased" by brown/taipan's (don't know which species exactly) around the Gladstone-rockhampton to Mackay region. Is something is chasing you then to me that says its defending the location where it is currently at...would you not agree? (remember not trying to start an arugment or anything just clarifying for future reference :) )
are you serious or just joking ? snakes dont chase people that myth is spread australia wide

morelia_mad - are they the ones that bite their tail and roll after you :)

yea i think there the brown snakes that crossed over with carpets or was it a taipan with a diamond ;););) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back