Issue with Daimond laying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Buddy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
One of my Diamonds is currently laying eggs, they are very late & she has been laying since last night. She still clearly has a number of eggs in her. So far she has layed 10 eggs (3 appear viable, 7 definately slugs) It is also her first clutch at 6 years old. She is approximately 7 feet long, cycled correctly over the past years & she was in perfect condition when the male was introduced. I have never experienced this before & I am hoping someone can shed some light on the normal time span it takes Diamonds to lay???
Previously, they have all layed their entire clutch in a number of hours, bet never this long.
I am worried she may have egg binding, which if this is the case could not have happened at a worse time. My vet isn't open until Tuesday & at this time I cant find out when another vet is open.
Just want to make it clear that I am taking her to a vet as soon as they are open, but any help in what I should do in the meantime would be apperciated. I have increased the temp to 32 deg C & sprayed the enclosure to increase the humidity.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I definately don't want to lose her, not worried about the eggs.
Thanks guys

G'day Green,

There's no need to stress yet. If she's still passing eggs, then she's just taking her time. There may be environmental reasons for it (i.e. unsuitable nesting site). Even if she does become eggbound, you have a significant window of opportunity to get it sorted out.

Over the next 24 hours, disturb her as little as possible and see if she lays the rest. I know of people who have had Carpets lay fertile clutchs over a period of 8-10 days...it's unusual but not unheard of.

As Jonno says, you have a significant window of time before any action is needed, at least a number of days. Pythons are very different to mammals in this regard. Leave her undisturbed as Jonno says, and just keep watch for the next 3-4 days. If she still has some retained eggs, you can get her to a vet for an assessment of her condition.

Don't make the mistake of thinking urgent action is needed, and that your female snake is built like a toothpaste tube to make squeezing the eggs out a reasonable approach. One of the biggest problems with laying pythons is continual interference during the process, but if you have experience you probably won't do this.

Just leave her to her own devices, check every few hours as discreetly as possible, and if you still think there's a problem in a few days, talk to your vet. I had an oldish imbricata which had had some eggs surgically removed, and I had 'retired' her from future breeding... but coming across to NSW from WA I put 2 to a bag... and put her in with a male, thinking that it would be too disruptive in a car for 4-5 days for any hanky-panky... But... she laid a full and healthy clutch all by herself sometime later! Surgery need not affect the future breeding prospects, but needless to say I didn't give her the opportunity to try again!

Jamie.

Thanks for your help guys, I just haven't had this issue so far & hopefully not again!
I set up a remote ir camera in her enclosure last night (around 5am - sleepless night) so I can monitor her without disturbing her or even going into the herp room. It's now around 36 hours since the first egg was laid & she is still going, only one more egg laid so far. Just a bit stressed on her health as she is far more important than a clutch of eggs. I have looked into some possible reasons for this happening & the only thing that was different this year is christmas with all the nieces & nephews continually being in the herp room. It may have added too much stress to her???
There has not been & will not be any toothpase squeezing antics or anything similar Jamie! lol
I will be taking her to the vet on Tuesday regardless if she passes all the eggs or not, just to be 100% sure she is ok.
Thanks again for your help guys, it's really appreciated!
Cheers

have u tried some cod oil yet

Please don't even think of doing this... in either end. What a ridiculous thing to suggest. The eggs are in the reproductive tract, not the digestive tract, and the stress of trying to get it into the snake will guarantee further complications.

Jamie

i have to agree cod liver oil is a stupid idea.
if you are sure she is having dificulties with the last of the clutch, and most of them have turned out to be slugs / infertiles,
you can give her a soak in some luke warm watter for a few hrs.
set up an apropiate sized 'clik clak' for her, and have it only 2 inches or so full of water, put her in it and set it at the warm end of the enclosuer, check up on her every now and then.

but essensialy this will help to relax her mucles and make it esier for her to pass the eggs.

any eggs passed during this time will be no good thou due to being watter logged. but the important thing is that she passes them

After another 3 slugs were laid over the weekend, there were still more plainly visible last night. I made an appointment with the vet, after a quick & easy xray, found another 4 still to come. She is spending the night at the vets to see if they are laid naturally tonight after being given a shot of something I cant spell or pronounce! lol.
If there is no joy there, they will be surgically removed.
Thanks to everybodies sensible imput, the end result was achieved. My Diamond was delivered to the vet in a state where she is able to receive help & survive!
Thanks again to all, I believe this one is a win!!!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back