Issues with shedding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minexs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok my 2 y/o diamond decided to shed today, however i noticed she was having problems. The shed under her mouth wasnt coming free and she had rolled part of the top of her head to about 6 inches down her back and broken it down the sides of her head. After checking the site i saw soaking them in warm water often helps, so i grabbed the biggest bowl i could and filled it with warm water. Now i havent been very social with my girl for the past few months so she has been grumpy at me, however i braved possibly being bitten and got the water dish in her enclosure and got hold of her after 10 mins and started to soak her. This sort of worked so what i did to help was dampened my hands and made them sticky with water. Then whenever i could i would get my hands under her head to try and help roll the skin down. This was proving problematic to say the least, however after 40 mins of helping her round her enclosure i decided to bring the water and her out. I put the water on the ground and continued to work on her neck noticing she was becoming lethargic. This made my job easier. I let her rest for a bit and soaked her again. She completely put her head under the water and blew bubbles then she came up and took some deap breaths. This is when i decided to start the slough further down her body. I saw some loose slough and started about 8 inches down her head, engaged a break in the skin and completely rolled the leftover off in one piece, then i went back to head. She just rested on my off-hand and let me gently peel the rest of the skin off.

The special part is this has never happened to me before so i was running blind, but thanks to this site and some confidence my girl has completely shed and is currently resting. I feel the bond has grown 10 fold due to this.

To anyone worrying about issues with shedding - dont be: they seem to realise there is a problem and will for the most part let you help them if you take the time to let them know you're there for them.

Just my experience, i hope it can possibly help others.

Good work, glad she's okay now. The other good technique is to soak a towel and let them crawl through it a few times, putting small amounts of pressure on them as they do. This can be especially useful if there is retained shed on their heads, and particularly the eye scales.

well done, mine had a bad shed the other day and had skin on its face and covering both eyes. i agree after 15 minutes he settled down from being very restless, and just lay there as it gently peeled the skin off.. once off you could almost see the relief on his face haha

something for the future

when you realise your snake is going in to shed get a water sprayer with a really fine mist and mist morning and night. it keeps the dampness high and you will find the skin will come off in one go.

Elizabeth

Spray shed ease onto her a couple of times a day when you see her eyes go milky, another trick is to move the water bowl closer to the hot end of the enclosure to increase the humidity.

ty to everyone who replied,

i have notced there are alot of ppl needing help with slough issues wondering if setting up a sticky might be the way to go regarding what ppl can do and possible ideas suggestions as to how too cope with a bad shed.

just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back