Its a yes, Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So after months of work mum finally said that i can get a snake for Christmas however she said it can only be between 60-100 cm in length, so I'm thinking of either a Stimson python or pygmy however I don't know what license is required for a pygmy and I've been looking everywhere to find out, so now I'm here. I live in QLD so yeah if anyone can answer the question it would be a big help.

I would suggest sticking with a Childrens, spotted or Stimsons python. Spotted pythons can get to over a meter, especially the 'blonde' form. That said I doubt it would be a problem and your mum would get used to it while it is small and not be bothered if it grows over 1m (maybe?). At the moment they are all the same category (basic recreational license) but they are trying to change that.

I agree with Cris. Children's and Stimson's are a little easier than Pygmies, and generally stay under a metre. Once you get familiar with snakes you'll see that a one metre snake is much smaller than you imagine a one metre snake to be. Your mum will probably be very surprised at how small a one metre snake is if she sees one (going and seeing some snakes with her now would be a good idea) in the flesh she'll probably be comfortable with something a bit over a metre. A 60cm snake is tiny - it could up and sit in a teacup.

Any of the Antaresia will be fine. As Cris said a Spotted will probably grow to slightly over one metre, but you will still think of it as a very small snake when you actually see it.

Good luck and have fun :)

My juvenile Diamond Python is currently 60cm long. She has wrapped her entire body around my finger. And I don’t have particularly long fingers. So yeah, 60cm is not all that long.

full

[doublepost=1532757146,1532756689][/doublepost]And stretched out (kinda)
full

full

I agree with Cris. Children's and Stimson's are a little easier than Pygmies, and generally stay under a metre. Once you get familiar with snakes you'll see that a one metre snake is much smaller than you imagine a one metre snake to be. Your mum will probably be very surprised at how small a one metre snake is if she sees one (going and seeing some snakes with her now would be a good idea) in the flesh she'll probably be comfortable with something a bit over a metre. A 60cm snake is tiny - it could up and sit in a teacup.

Any of the Antaresia will be fine. As Cris said a Spotted will probably grow to slightly over one metre, but you will still think of it as a very small snake when you actually see it.

Good luck and have fun :)

I think mum is more worried about my niece being strangled as she's 7 mouths old, She has also seen me old a full grown BHP before, and a children python so she does know how small one is, she should be fine if it goes over a meter

Lilith was kind enough to share pictures of her 60cm snake, which as you can see doesn't pose any danger to anything much larger than a girl's finger. I'm not sure how large your niece is but I'm willing to bet that if she isn't yet larger than a girl's finger she will be by Christmas :) An adult carpet python would pose a danger to a newborn baby, but even the largest Antaresia (the Children's Python group, including Stimson's, Spotteds, etc) would be incapable of killing or doing any appreciable harm to a baby human, and would pose less danger than a pet cat, and is literally less formidable than something like a rabbit. If it's an irrational concern I can't argue with it, but if you mother is concerned with actual real risks, you won't have any :)

simple fix to that problem... dont let the baby near the snake :)

Wouldn’t recommend a Pygmy to a first time keepers.
Much more delicate species and can be very troublesome feeders.

Stimsons are probably the next smallest (and best looking imo). Usually don’t exceed 1-1.2m.

Children’s are probably the cheapest of the lot but more plain in colour. Similar size the Stimsons. Maybe a touch larger- but it would really come down to each individuals

Spotteds are the largest of the group- 1.5m usually. Bit heavier in the body.

ANY animal- be it a dog, cat, mouse, snake... whatever can cause significant harm to young children. NEVER leave them unsupervised and keep an extremely close eye on any and all interactions.

I don’t even know why your niece would come into the picture- she won’t be doing any handling or care of the animal whatsoever- I’d go as far to say that interactions between her and any pets should be little to none.

I don’t care if you have the “sweetest [whatever pet]”- they are all animals and can be unpredictable at times. If you’re not willing to a cope a bite, don’t get an animal. Young children don’t know how to behave around animals either which brings a whole new element of danger there

I don’t care if you have the “sweetest [whatever pet]”- they are all animals and can be unpredictable at times. If you’re not willing to a cope a bite, don’t get an animal. Young children don’t know how to behave around animals either which brings a whole new element of danger there
Thanks for the advise, I think mum is more worried about when my niece is old and the snake is bigger, I do also know the risk of owning animals, my dads friends had the sweetest dog and one day he just bit me. Its just mum thats thinking about it to much, trust me I'll never let my niece near the snake till shes older, even then I'll be the one holding it
[doublepost=1532766122,1532765796][/doublepost]
Lilith was kind enough to share pictures of her 60cm snake, which as you can see doesn't pose any danger to anything much larger than a girl's finger
I have really small hands but its nice to see a comparison.

The little kid is probably bigger danger to the snake than vice versa, as kids are not terribly coordinated or good with being gentle and slow with their movements. My nieces are almost 6 but there’s a strict policy of “look, don’t touch”. I’m not sure a python would try to strangle something it couldn’t eat, but having said that, in the picture above mine was definitely trying to strangle my finger (you can see the tip has gone purple). Thankfully, didn’t try to eat it lol.
I agree with what others have said, the kid should not be in contact with the snake at all.

I've lost count of how many "HELP!!! My snake escaped! Help me find it!" threads I've seen over the years.

I spent about 20 years keeping deadly snakes but I likely won't ever do it again because if I get them now I'll want to hang on to them for about 10 years and I plan to have kids before then.

Wouldn’t recommend a Pygmy to a first time keepers.
Much more delicate species and can be very troublesome feeders.

Stimsons are probably the next smallest (and best looking imo). Usually don’t exceed 1-1.2m.

Children’s are probably the cheapest of the lot but more plain in colour. Similar size the Stimsons. Maybe a touch larger- but it would really come down to each individuals

Spotteds are the largest of the group- 1.5m usually. Bit heavier in the body.

ANY animal- be it a dog, cat, mouse, snake... whatever can cause significant harm to young children. NEVER leave them unsupervised and keep an extremely close eye on any and all interactions.

I don’t even know why your niece would come into the picture- she won’t be doing any handling or care of the animal whatsoever- I’d go as far to say that interactions between her and any pets should be little to none.

A 5' Spotted is huge. They very rarely hit 5'.

Price is more or less irrelevant these days; any of them can be purchased for a trivial amount of money unless you're after fancy morphs.

To say a mouse or small snake or "ANY" animal can cause significant harm to young children is just silly. I played with all sorts of animals when I was a young child, I'll let my kids do the same, and when they're young enough to need supervision when interacting with small snakes it's for the snake's safety.

If you don't know why the niece would come into it you probably should stick to reading rather than posting. People have irrational fears, which, while irrational, do exist and need to be addressed, and as I said above, I couldn't even start to count the number of "Oh, ****, my snake escaped, please help!" threads I've seen. The young kid will also be 1, 2, 3 years old in the near future, and kids get into things, which is why I probably won't be keeping deadly snakes any more, despite having no intention of deliberately putting them into contact with those snakes until they're much older. As a toddler I was really good at getting into stuff. These small snakes pose no danger, but it is still a fair enough question to ask, concern to have, and we can explain the situation appropriately.

Here's some pics taken of my blonde-phase spotted python this week. It'd be pushing 1m now.
20180721_111243.jpg 20180721_111424.jpg 20180721_111450.jpg

Here's my Stimmy which is a couple of months older but substantially shorter in length.
20180721_114333.jpg
20180721_114417.jpg
20180721_114828.jpg

Both are dream pythons to keep and handle (when necessary). The spotted can be flighty and keeps me on my toes, she's very quick and unpredictable, not at all snappy, has never bitten me but her movements are always 100 mile an hour... the stimmy is placid as, could pick it up and tie it in knots if I wanted to and it wouldn't give a damn.

Both of them are beautiful
Cheers. I like the antaresia sp more than other larger pythons like carpets etc. The heads of larger pythons (to me) just look so wrong. The ants have adorable little heads, you'd never think they could slam down a whole mouse.

Nice pictures of lovely snakes :)

My first snakes were Antaresia, and after 25 years of working with a huge number of a huge variety of snakes, the Antaresia are still right up with my favourites :) I really think they're absolutely brilliant snakes. In Australia some people dismiss them as 'kids snakes' or 'beginners' snakes' (the name 'Children's Python' probably contributes!) but I think they're awesome.

Both were just pet shop pickups as hatchies, right place right time. Probably paid inflated prices for both of them but we only live once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back