Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
Being only young in the hobby and care for 3 snakes, (soon to be 5) this isnt my favourite part. I was just moving ne of my jungle from feeding tub to enclosure, i touched her, she was fine and then she grabbed me, she is only just over a year old (so only small) but she can bite. So far this is about the 6 time a snake has grabbed me and coiled. I have been biting by my 2 hatchy jungles, a spotted python just over a metre maybe 1.1 metres and plenty of spotted hatchies. Everytime i get biting i just tell my self its a part of keeping snakes. Heres my pics and feel free to post your own.DSC00067[1].jpgDSC00055[1].jpg
Even so my fist reaction to the spotted python went something like this. "AARRRHHHH ITS BITIN ohh this dont even really hurt, QUICK GRAB MY CAMERA!!!!" All i cared about was getting a photo to remember it.

Why don't you feed it in its enclosure so you don't have to disturb it right after a meal and get bitten?

Just a few facts as advice

Fact 1; You dont need to feed snakes out of their enclosures
Fact 2; If your snake is biting and wrapping it is hungry
That is called a feeding response bite
No good for you or the snakes
Easy fixed by feeding it more
Fact 3;Its NOT part of owning snakes to get bitten
If bitten it means you made a mistake
Thats the only thing getting bitten means

Enjoy

I was told and have always been taught to feed outside of the enclosure. As I said I am only young so I am still developing my Ways of doing things, Im sure if you ask me I one years times I will be doing a lot of things different than now. So yea I'm still "experimenting" with things. I'm sure you do thing different now than when you started off.

- - - Updated - - -

Again longqi I'm sure you have been bitten.

I was told and have always been taught to feed outside of the enclosure. As I said I am only young so I am still developing my Ways of doing things, Im sure if you ask me I one years times I will be doing a lot of things different than now. So yea I'm still "experimenting" with things. I'm sure you do thing different now than when you started off.

- - - Updated - - -

Again longqi I'm sure you have been bitten.

Of course I do things differently from when I started. It was just a suggestion to help you fix a simple problem. Take it or leave it. As Longqi said, getting bitten isn't supposed to be a regular thing. Yes, we have all been bitten but it's best to avoid stressing them out if you can

I feed mine out of his enclosure, but only so that he doesnt smear rat blood/etc all through it....

Ok I will give feeding in the cage a go. If I notice a difference in the animals behavior, defensiveness, aggression that kind of stuff I will find alternative. As i said I am trying new things all the time. Thanks for your help.

Nobody is having a go at you here
Just giving advice
Yes I have been bitten
But in every single case it was my fault

Most important thing right now is the types of bite you are getting
If they are feeding bites, which means snakes holds on and wraps, that means the snakes are hungry
Easy to fix by increasing their food

If they are feeding bites, which means snakes holds on and wraps, that means the snakes are hungry
Easy to fix by increasing their food
i agree with you here but it might not necessarily be the case imo , sure reveiwing feed size would be a good idea but it could be that their just still in a strong feeding mode in a case like this where their being moved just after theyve eaten

Have you tried feeding in their enclosure? Is just a suggestion as raised by Longqi. You say you were told to feed outside of their enclosure, but a good method is to listen to people experience and make your own mind up as to what is best for you. There are many threads on here sharing opinions of feeding inside V's outside of enclosures. In your case feeding outside has resulted in quite a few bites. I say quite a few as you say 6 bites from 3 snakes. The benefits you believe from feeding outside the enclosure, would they exceed 6 bites from snakes that are growing? Are the opinions for feeding outside an enclosure based on fact or opinion? Personally I like my snakes to think their enclosure is where they bite, and outside they don't. I only give food inside their enclosure to reinforce this. I cant say factually if this is better or worse than feeding outside their enclosure, but it has worked for me. I can say however that I have never been bitten by any of my adult pythons. But that could also mean I never take them out...lol (for the record I do btw).

Going to add my 2 cents worth
I dont own a snake at present, but im babysitting one, two things ive noticed when putting your hand inside keep your fist closed as fingers may look like food, and when im feeding him inside the tank i use chop sticks, he has looked liked he has wanted to go my fingers but this has saved me so far.

the snake in the photo can definitely eat a lot bigger meal than a fuzzy rat
No photos of the other snakes so hard to make a good call there

I agree with longqi, I got bitten abit when I first started keeping reptiles but haven't been bitten by anything apart from hatchos in years, I guess it comes down to handling expericance and knowing how to handle the animals, trust me I have some pretty cranky adult snakes as well haha

the snake in the photo can definitely eat a lot bigger meal than a fuzzy rat
No photos of the other snakes so hard to make a good call there
probably , that info came in after i made that post and like i said , reviewing it would be a good idea as well but it was just a possibility as well:)

ill admit that ive been feeding my womas in tubs , but it isnt to stop biting , its because i like to keep them on coir peat and they have a habit of dragging their food around and it sort of scoops into their mouth on the last bite and they got heaps on the food item

i was just a little worried it might cause some sort of problem with them eating it every feed whilst they where young , ill be changing to feeding inside the enclosure now their older it was just a precaution whilst they where young

and ive actually never been bitten or striked at whilst moving them after theyve eaten , the males a food nutter sometimes before his eaten and ive been nailed then ( but it actually wasnt ever on feeding day ) but once his got food in his gut he quietens down completely

ha, I've owned snakes for a year and haven't got tagged yet :D Even all my hatchies have been rather docile :) Guess I'm lucky?

haha, snap! My girl's an angel <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back