It's my first time.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I went and checked on Hisskers (13 month old MD) this evening and it turns out he is going into shed (milky eyes). This is my first time, I only got him 3weeks ago. I feel like the 100+ hours of research I've done never existed. I'm more anxious about this than his first night at home. Are there any final tips or words of wisdom. I saw those milky eyes and my brain has been wiped. I'm leaving him well alone only changing the water and doing a very quick check for little snakey messes.

Leave him alone, and some time over the next few days/a week he'll shed and be quite fine. No need to stress until something DOES go wrong with the shed. Other than that just let him and nature do their thing.

just relax ayeee...dont expect the shedding process to be over too soon, thats the worry I had when my 2y/o coastal first went into shed. from what i read i was expecting it to be over in a few days...it was more like 7-10 days after the milky eye stage.
im guessing in your case you will find the shed skin on saturday morning...i know there are SOOOO many factors that play a part but thats my bet!!!

Only thing I would suggest is to lightly mist the walls of the enclosure to create a bit more humidity over the next week or so. Has Helped my Snakes shed a little easier.

I got excited about my snakes first few shed and then before you know you have more dried out sheds than you know what to do with

Thank you all so much for you prompt and helpful replies. You have all really put my mind at ease.

Oh I remember these feelings all too well!! I think listening to the advice already given is the best idea! The only thing that I might add is (from my experience) when you're waiting/ watching it can seem to be taking a lot longer than it actually does!

I remember the scary first nightsl! They really can't prepare new owners for that! I felt like I was doing everything wrong and that I had forgotten all information! I think some of us just have tendency to worry a little more than others (especially when it comes to our pets!!).

Enjoy your MD- they are amazing :)

The snake will also look like it has lost its old skin sooner or later and you'll be thinking "where is it??"...it's usually a day or so after that they slough it off ;)

Hisskers did it. It's over and done with. My first time and it didn't hurt a bit. I hadn't seen him for days and went to change his water and noticed he was out and I thought that was a bit strange as I wasn't expecting to see him until at least the weekend. I opened the lid and at first I couldn't work out what the funny condom looking thing was on his tail. And then it came to me like a brick to the head lol. It's all complete only one tiny little hole but when I spred it out it all connected fine. I checked his body and there are no patchy bits. So it's a perfect shed. I can't believe how beautiful and bright he is now. He is a completely different snake.

Thanks again all who gave their words of wisdom.

Ha ha congratulations, mumma to a snake shed : )

photo.jpg
Ruben looked like this Tuesday. Back to normal colour Wednesday & acting hungry so I fed him. An hour later he's scooting around his enclosure peeling it back like theres no tomorrow. From start of actual shedding until he had it all off...about 5 minutes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back