Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Spike 14,
I Should have some this season, Like anything I breed I grade them and price them accordingly P.M. me if you want some more Info.

hehe, my first thread that more then 3 people have replied to :D pmd you snake power and jungleland

This is a genuine Jag, while there are some really nice animals here and some on this thread I haven't seen anything quite up to this standard YET. Jags are a coastal/coastal not a cross.
Jag.jpg

is that your snake? or over sea's? The main point i am tryna make about jags is i think the lines come from proserpine form coastals . . .

As I said there are none like that here (that I know of) so yes it's overseas. It's hard to say where the original parents came from but the first Jaguar was very different to it's parents. I think some Proserpine Coastals certainly have a Jag look about them.

There may be no Jags exactly the same as the one posted from Morelia, but they do originate from coastals. Some of the examples posted here, are hell close to an overseas jag! We have the patterns and just colour to go. I say we're almost there, and I believe that some of what we have here is good enough to class as an Australian Jag!!! For sure!

I agree some of them are getting closer but it might be a few generations yet and don't forget we can only have Jag lookalikes, a bit like owing a kit car :)

SnakePower said:
There may be no Jags exactly the same as the one posted from Morelia, but they do originate from coastals. Some of the examples posted here, are hell close to an overseas jag! We have the patterns and just colour to go. I say we're almost there, and I believe that some of what we have here is good enough to class as an Australian Jag!!! For sure!

Yes, but remember that the Jag isn't just a look, but a proven genetic morph. There isn't anything in Australia that looks like a Jag that has proven genetic's, is there?
Unless, someone has imported some Jags illegally, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Neil

Why only Jag look alikes?? If Jags originated from coastals, there is absolutely no reason with the right selective breeding that we can duplicate a genuine Jag! I know that is the thought of several big breeders!

SnakePower said:
Why only Jag look alikes?? If Jags originated from coastals, there is absolutely no reason with the right selective breeding that we can duplicate a genuine Jag! I know that is the thought of several big breeders!

I will try to give you a better example:

You want to create a albino, what do you do??
You try and find two hets to breed togeather, but what if there aren't any Hets around, you can't knowingly breed any or find any, you just have to be lucky to stumble across to animals that are Het for the same condition to produce the genetic morph(How likely is that to happen??).
Remember, selective line breeding won't create a genetic morph if you haven't got the genetic's there to start with.
So, a really nice looking jag lookalike Coastal crossed with a nice looking jag looking coastal won't give you Jag offspring, it will just give you normal coastals, some that may look like their parents.
I am not saying that you couldn't line breed really nice looking Jag lookalike coastals and get some stunning snakes, but they won't be a genetic morph, just a standard line bred animal, which I would be excited to own, I am sure.

The original coastal female was a fairly normal looking Coastal from memory, didn't look like the Jag.

Again, if there are illegal true Jag imports in Australia , then that's a different matter.

Neil

And the male was in Irian Jaya carpet, they were not a true mcdowelli/mcdowelli cross. Maybe those that don't believe should send the Barkers an email and ask them why they didn't get involved with the jag breeding programme. :D

I think the jags are an awesome animal and would certaily love one, some of those with "made in US" stamped on them would be nice..... :shock: :lol:

dont belive every thing you are told hugsta, to my knowledge the first original jag was produced by crossing a normal mcdowelli with what was regared as a hypo-ish mcdowelli. So both originated from oz blood.
The sub-standard iran jaya jags came a bit later.

I wouldn't call them sub standard but yes as I said earlier there seems to be little doubt they were from 2 coastals. I can't see much point in saying they are anything else really unless the original breeder was concerned the purist Nazis would criticise him.

I would call them sub-standard, they are not near as nice as the originals IMO.

Well the Irian Jaya Jags are different but I'm not sure I would consider them sub standard as such.
ij_jag.jpg

TB: don't you just wish sometimes that you were of 'great unwashed' and didn't see how the animal came to be bright yellow and you just saw this awesome looking bright yellow snake?

I think you are right, any animals needs to be appreciated for what it is and not necessarily how it came to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back