Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggyboy86

Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I would share a few of my pics from a quick trip down to Jervis Bay I made with some friends. Didn't get any rain but the ponds and swamps had water in them so we were lucky enough to find a few frogs. Several skink species around especially water skinks. Brown Snakes were also common in the park and we rescued a Diamond Python off the road one night.

An example of some of the places around the Bay
JervisBay1.jpg

And the sort of places we looked for frogs
JervisBay2.jpg

A Chelodina longicollis was sunbaking at the edge of a swamp
JervisBay3.jpg

On the tracks we saw a few species, one was the Southern Banjo Frog (Limnodynastes dumerilli insularis)
Limnodynastesdumerilliinsularisadul.jpg

and the Giant Burrowing Frog (Heleioporus australiacus) is always nice to find.
Heleioporusaustraliacus-1.jpg

Around the swamps you get different species, especially the Jervis Bay Tree Frog (Litoria jervisiensis)
Litoriajervisiensisadult1.jpg

As well as the Tyler's Tree Frog (Litoria tyleri)
Litoriatyleri.jpg

Haswell's Froglets (Paracrinia haswelli) were also common
Paracriniahaswelli.jpg

And the elusive Tyler's Toadlet (Uperoleia tyleri) which likes to call amongst sword grasses (which can be very painful)
Uperoleiatyleriadult1.jpg

Other frog species we saw were Common Eastern Froglets (Crinia signifera) and Peron's Tree Frogs (Litoria peroni).

And the Diamond Python (Morelia spilota)
Moreliaspilota.jpg

Cheers

Aaron

Nice pics mate, love that burrowing frog! Got any more pics of the diamond?

Aaron,

Looks like an excellent trip. Jervis Bay is such a beautiful park. Strange, though, but I have been there many times but never have seen a Brown Snake.

Your frog finds were interesting ... particularly the Giant Burrowing Frog.

Regards,
David

I only have one other shot of the head unfortunately and it looks a bit overexposed. I don't have much experience photographing snakes so I dont have any good ones with it all curled up etc like in the books. I don't see many spilota but this was one of the nicer ones I've seen and very placid.

moreliaspilota2.jpg

Yeah the burrowing frogs are awesome, they are one of my favourites but very unpredictable when it comes to finding them! :lol:

Aaron

Nice looking Diamond, How big was he?

Aaron,

Looks like an excellent trip. Jervis Bay is such a beautiful park. Strange, though, but I have been there many times but never have seen a Brown Snake.

I should clarify David that these pics were taken in Booderee NP and not Jervis Bay NP. The Brown Snakes were common on the roads in the afternoon, we saw four or five of them along the main road through the park.

Nice looking Diamond, How big was he?

I would say it was about 1.2-1.5 metres. I was under the impression that this wasn't fully grown?

Aaron

have you got any pictures of the brown snakes or the skink species?

Hey Ryan,

I didn't photograph any of the Brown Snakes, they were usually moving off the road when I saw them. Didn't photograph any skinks/dragons because I've seen them before. If anyone is interested we saw Amphibolurus muricatus, Ctenotus taeniolatus, Eulamprus quoyii and
Lampropholis delicata - so fairly standard species for that area.

Aaron

Great pics Aaron, where bouts was the diamond Python ? Iv been to Jervis bay so many times and done so much night driving and walking through the park and only ever seen red bellys and 1 Small Eyed crossing the track near govenors head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back