JET-005 Day Night Dimming Thermostat Timer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyewall

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I want to get one of theses thermostats: JET-005 Day Night Dimming Thermostat Timer, just wondering if anyone uses this thermostat and if it's quality or not
thanks

They are the ones with the purple screens ,i had a few when they were 40 each on ebay a few years back . There is allot of issues with them ,the purple light on mine went after a month ,too fidley to set and the instructions were ordinary. ended up i through them in the bin after they completely died on me.
Just look through all the threads on how to use them LOL better off with a habistat from herp shop.

Last edited:
I bought one of those last year. A few months after using it the screen started to fade, and I had to be pretty close to it to be able to read it. It also started making the lights flicker quite often, and the thermostat started making a loud buzzing sound. I'm using a Habistat one instead now and it's working great.

Don't know if those problems are common or if it was just mine. I won't be getting another one. You can get Digital Habistat ones too, but I don't know what they're like.

I'll probably notice a few on eBay and Gumtree pretty cheap for a reason. I had one for bout 3 weeks then took it back to Petbarn for a refund. Habistat I sweater by and others Microclimate....I think u get what you pay for in this case

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought one of those last year. A few months after using it the screen started to fade, and I had to be pretty close to it to be able to read it. It also started making the lights flicker quite often, and the thermostat started making a loud buzzing sound. I'm using a Habistat one instead now and it's working great.

Don't know if those problems are common or if it was just mine. I won't be getting another one. You can get Digital Habistat ones too, but I don't know what they're like.
If the digital reading doesn't fade then I'm quite happy with my digital habistat.dead easy to set and shows everything I want to know

I bought a few of them.....I thought they were great but after every one has had the screen go 'black' after a few months, and one failure that had potential to fry animals I have either removed all of mine from service, or set them up as 'timers' only and don't rely on them as a thermostat - more a fancy timer. There are other cases reported on here where the control units have overheated and melted. One of mine also overheated and has a strong 'burnt plastic' smell if you sniff it, and a small warping of the case. Others were more severe.

The importer is well aware of the issues but no changes to design have occurred - IMO these are a cheap chinese product manufactured with very poor quality control that are overpriced for their level of reliability. When they work they are great.....but mine are all less than 12 months old, some had only been in service 8 weeks when the screens went black. With multiple reports of the units getting hot and melting, and thermo's locking on they are not the sort of gamble I will take. The Eco-Tech is a rebadged version of the same thing with a higher price tag.

The Habistat fully digital units are not the same despite having a similar case design.....They have very different features that make it obvious it is not a rebadged Jet. They are considerable more expensive (but not in the long run if they actually continue to work) but I would imagine they come with Habistat reliability. I have not tried one, and have since learnt how to set up enclosures so that fancy thermostats are not really required (Yes...Should have listened to one of my herp mentors some time ago who advised me this!!) but if I were looking for that style of electronic controller I would be investigating the Habistat - They would have been better value in the long run had they been available at the time.

I have 2 of these thermostats. Had one for over a year and the other around 8 months and never had a problem with iether. Screen hasnt faded and keeps temps stable. Maybe i just got lucky

I also have 2 of the eco-tech stats.1 dimming and 1 on off.yep the screen did fade after a few months.but still readable when I go up to the enclosure but otherwise I've had no probs with them at all

I also have 2 of the eco-tech stats.1 dimming and 1 on off.yep the screen did fade after a few months.but still readable when I go up to the enclosure but otherwise I've had no probs with them at all

I've got 2 eco techs and 1 x Jet 005, screens don't like to be dropped etc, but you can still see them up close, as for operation, once you work out how to see them (there's a great youtube vid that helps) They are fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrngAoH9CQ

This video works for both thermo's

Hi guys I would highly recommend anyone against getting a JET-005.

If you have a look at one of my previous threads I made three custom enclosures and panel mounted the thermostat into the wood with a stainless cutout frame around it to finish it off. The led screen looked amazing.

Why would I recommend against it?
The first week two screens became near unreadable.
Within a month one of the units totally failed.
One week later I was wondering why there was a purple glow coming from the room. I went to inspect the two remaining thermostat and found that the units were outputting temperature 15° above what was programmed.

I unplugged the units over night. I returned the next day and reprogrammed. And installed a alarm temperature set 7° above the setting I desired.

Within three hours it was sounding. Upon investigation once again the thermostats where outputting 10° above desired temperature.

When I say outputting above. The thermostat screen was showing 38° when the temperature was only meant to be 26°. So it could not have been an incorrect sensors placement.

I contacted the supplier who is a site sponsor and let them know, I was also honest about hardwiring the 240 plug into another plug. Their only response was that modification caused the failure. Considering I'm a mechanical engineer with a major in hydraulics and a minor in electronics I can without a doubt say that it was a poorely constructed unit supplied by a company that I expected more from.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

People cannot say they haven't been warned......

They only have to fail once to kill your animals and/or burn down your house. I have seen enough of these things failing, and seen the lack of interest the importer has for the issues to know they are something to steer clear of.

I purchased a Jet-005 unit back in Dec 2013 and it failed within 3 months. First the heat globe went, nothing special. Once I replaced it the temperature went and maxed out at 50'C causing an error on the unit. Upon further inspection I realized that the electrical box near the power point had melted internally causing the thermostat to stay on ignoring the set point. I contacted the eBay seller and returned the unit with an immediate refund. Apparently now he is recommending that users have a surge protector in between the heat lamp plug and the thermostat unit, but he says there is no issue with the units...

I am using 2 x ATC-300 themostats which are similar to the MT-001 ones listed on eBay.

I've also heard that Eco Tech are OK as well...

I purchased a Jet-005 unit back in Dec 2013 and it failed within 3 months. First the heat globe went, nothing special. Once I replaced it the temperature went and maxed out at 50'C causing an error on the unit. Upon further inspection I realized that the electrical box near the power point had melted internally causing the thermostat to stay on ignoring the set point. I contacted the eBay seller and returned the unit with an immediate refund. Apparently now he is recommending that users have a surge protector in between the heat lamp plug and the thermostat unit, but he says there is no issue with the units...

I am using 2 x ATC-300 themostats which are similar to the MT-001 ones listed on eBay.

I've also heard that Eco Tech are OK as well...

......and what exactly does the seller think a surge protector is going to do? A surge protector sensitive enough to make ANY difference in this regard would cost 10 times what the thermostat costs. He/she is dreaming......Sounds like another poor excuse along the same lines of what Maxwell was told about his failed unit. I am an electrical technician and it really annoys me when sellers pushing products prey on the naivety and lack of technical knowledge of buyers - particularly where safety is concerned.

I am yet to be convinced that an Eco-Tech is not a rebadged JET. After looking at local prices of an Eco-Tech (not sure how different online prices area) I would be spending the extra $25 and buying the top of the range Habistat Digital Electronic Dimming thermostat. It has more useable features (I particularly like the 2 x isolated On/Off cycles each 24hrs) and will be unlikely to suffer the quality issues of the others, and will be supported properly if there is a problem.

I Agree Bart70 it makes no sense. People think that we will accept what they say. Simply put the unit could have killed the lizards in the enclosure or caused a fire !!!

The eBay seller insisted on a 10-14 day inspection test by their supplier but when I sent it express post with a 2 page letter outlining a few threads on this site I was issued an immediate refund. I've even invested in Clipsal Surge Protected GPOs for most of my power points in my house just as a precaution for potential surges.

Reptile components aside a lot of retail outlets demand that you purchase a surge protected "piggy back" plug or void your warranty on washers, dryers, fridges, etc. Funny enough a single surge protect plug costs $50+ at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee, etc. What a money grab !!!

Please let me know where u source the Habistat units. What model are you suggesting and costs for them. I'd like a day night temp setting...

I Agree Bart70 it makes no sense. People think that we will accept what they say. Simply put the unit could have killed the lizards in the enclosure or caused a fire !!!

The eBay seller insisted on a 10-14 day inspection test by their supplier but when I sent it express post with a 2 page letter outlining a few threads on this site I was issued an immediate refund. I've even invested in Clipsal Surge Protected GPOs for most of my power points in my house just as a precaution for potential surges.

Reptile components aside a lot of retail outlets demand that you purchase a surge protected "piggy back" plug or void your warranty on washers, dryers, fridges, etc. Funny enough a single surge protect plug costs $50+ at Harvey Norman, Bing Lee, etc. What a money grab !!!

Please let me know where u source the Habistat units. What model are you suggesting and costs for them. I'd like a day night temp setting...

Do you have a copy of the letter. Just going through the process of getting a refund from the supplier.

I'm not happy to wait two weeks and far from happy with their current response.

I have also asked for the certification of the thermostat to relevant standards which has yet to be provided.

I believe that the units need to be removed from the market to prevent the possibility of fires and death of reptiles.

Yep...The Herp Shop is where I have seen them advertised. I have not seen the units in the flesh but from the specs I have read the $160 unit is not bad looking specs wise if wanting a dimming unit. These days I try not to require anything too fancy in terms of thermostats.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also asked for the certification of the thermostat to relevant standards which has yet to be provided.

I believe that the units need to be removed from the market to prevent the possibility of fires and death of reptiles.

I would be interested to hear what they come back with in terms of their approvals.

In NSW electrical items are split into 'Declared' items of which there are 56 categories. All items from these categories must be tested and meet the standards before being sold - and also labelled with their approval details. My JET's carry the CE label which is not a recognised standard here.

Anything that falls outside this declared list are "required to be safe to use". Importers of items falling outside of declared items are obliged to ensure their items are safe and are urged to submit for testing. Once tested they will be issued with a "Certificate of Suitability" number.

After having a look at the 'Declared' list of devices, Conditioning & Control devices are listed as a 'Declared' device meaning mandatroy approval before they can be sold - Would be interesting to see if NSW Fair Trading deem these thermostats to fall under that category - If they do, they MUST be tested and carry the appropriate approval label on them. None of mine carry any of the certified approval labels recognised by NSW Fair Trading Office.

Will be keen to see if they come back with a "Certificate of Suitability" for them as without any other approval label on the unit, this is the only way they can be certified for sale.

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear what they come back with in terms of their approvals.

In NSW electrical items are split into 'Declared' items of which there are 56 categories. All items from these categories must be tested and meet the standards before being sold - and also labelled with their approval details. My JET's carry the CE label which is not a recognised standard here.

Anything that falls outside this declared list are "required to be safe to use". Importers of items falling outside of declared items are obliged to ensure their items are safe and are urged to submit for testing. Once tested they will be issued with a "Certificate of Suitability" number.

After having a look at the 'Declared' list of devices, Conditioning & Control devices are listed as a 'Declared' device meaning mandatroy approval before they can be sold - Would be interesting to see if NSW Fair Trading deem these thermostats to fall under that category - If they do, they MUST be tested and carry the appropriate approval label on them. None of mine carry any of the certified approval labels recognised by NSW Fair Trading Office.

Will be keen to see if they come back with a "Certificate of Suitability" for them as without any other approval label on the unit, this is the only way they can be certified for sale.

Thats what I anticipating,

Normally I'm pretty good when it comes to refunds and don't put alot of effort into it.

However I was furious at the damage the thermostats may have done to my breeding plans by stuffing my cooling schedule.
And to have such little care factor into the matter along side all the other stories I have now read shows that this is worth fighting over.

Thanks for the info 86JAP, much appreciated :)

I'll be interested in the digital unit, hopefully I can find some reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back