John Howard new laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said back on the first page. Unless you have lived and worked in these communities I can't believe half the crap some people rant on about!
I work closely with 5 guys who spent many years working in remote aboriginal communities and I can tell you now that the stories would make you blood cold. eg. 14 yr old raping their own grandmothers, guys having sex with dogs in the street, 18 month old babies being raped/killed. and the list goes on. YES this occurs in all communities, BUT proportionally it is much higher in Aboriginal communities and they are not punished appropriately due to fears of judges being labled racist.
We recently had a NT copper come to our area and take a pay cut simply due to the aboriginals. His wife and kids could not handle it anymore and needed to get away. His wife had been spat on,abused etc, all whilst just doing the groceries. Also he was getting into wrestles (ie punch ups) 3 times a week.....now at our station I have not been in a blew for 2 years!
This is not RACIST stuff, but something needs to be done.
I work in one of the worst 'WHITE Trash' areas in Brisbane and I think all these welfare abuser's need to go back to a voucher/food stamps situation, so at least the kids can get food and they cant get smokes/drugs/booze. I dont have the answers but something has to happen.
jas

Jas, aka Zobo, do you think the army and more police in Aboriginal Communities will change the pedophiles for the long term? As in change this generation and the next and the next to the point where its basically nil?

Like I said back on the first page. Unless you have lived and worked in these communities I can't believe half the crap some people rant on about!
I work closely with 5 guys who spent many years working in remote aboriginal communities and I can tell you now that the stories would make you blood cold. eg. 14 yr old raping their own grandmothers, guys having sex with dogs in the street, 18 month old babies being raped/killed. and the list goes on. YES this occurs in all communities, BUT proportionally it is much higher in Aboriginal communities and they are not punished appropriately due to fears of judges being labled racist.
We recently had a NT copper come to our area and take a pay cut simply due to the aboriginals. His wife and kids could not handle it anymore and needed to get away. His wife had been spat on,abused etc, all whilst just doing the groceries. Also he was getting into wrestles (ie punch ups) 3 times a week.....now at our station I have not been in a blew for 2 years!
I work in one of the worst 'WHITE Trash' areas in Brisbane and I think all these welfare abuser's need to go back to a voucher/food stamps situation, so at least the kids can get food and they cant get smokes/drugs/booze. I dont have the answers but something has to happen.
jas

The joys of being a policeman huh? Bugger that!

Simone.

jas

No one is saying the situation is peechy out in the communities, it is far from it. And i have the utmost respect for you and your work mates, I rank police as high as nurses on importance to our country.

The point that I am trying to make and i think a few others are aswell is that the change needs to come from the communities, not an outside source. Because if it is from an outside source, as soon as it leaves things will return back to the way they have been.

If the communities wanted to change, wouldnt they have implemented it by now?

The government needs to use the heavy hand here, and if its seen as racist, then so be it, sometimes we need to overlook a little racism for things to work.

How can giving them more money fix anything. It hasn't in the past. And these so called men commiting these acts aren't the typical pedophiles. They are just drunk and stoned board blokes. It may not work but at least the PM has made a decision which is more than anybody else had done.
THAT IS SUCH A BLATANT CRAP EXCUSE, i dont care if it presents as the typical excuse. When i'm drunk and bored i dont sexually abuse ANYONE. No not having a go at you Bakes, just IMO this has been parried around as an all too convenient excuse for inexcusable despicable behaviour.
I tend to think it is brushed under the carpet because it is put in a too hard basket.
The excuses are set in place in case anyone says it's an issue of racism.
I don't care what religion, race, colour, creed they are, what they are doing is wrong.
The "fix" johnny is offering is something that makes him look good on paper but i have little hope it will actually solve anything as the actual problems aren't being properly addressed. The real heroes are the community workers in the midst of the crisis doing what they can with the restrictions put on them.

Last edited:
Jas, aka Zobo, do you think the army and more police in Aboriginal Communities will change the pedophiles for the long term? As in change this generation and the next and the next to the point where its basically nil?

Like I said I dont have all the answers, what do you suppose happens???
The communities wont change themselves, they cant even get a job etc.
If you ask me lock up all peds, remove grog etc, educate people and PAY them in food and shelter etc, not cash to blow at the pub.
Welfare is only supposed to supply people without jobs with the basic necessities of life; food, shelter etc, not to live a life of luxuries like alcohol and smokes etc. Thats the incentive to get a job.
jas

Well it does constitute racism because it is wholly targeted at one ethnic group of people. There are some people here who really need to learn what the definition of racism is.

Has anyone listened to my point about this needing the support from the indigenous leaders before anything positive will happen? Can no one see that it will not be supported by the indigenous leaders while it is a racist action?

Have you ever heard of Noel PEARSON?? Noel is a great man and a great figure head for Australian Indigenous people. Ask him if he thinks this Federal Govt initiative constitutes racism!

A racist will always deny being racist johnbowemonie, I don't expect you to see you are being racist.

When white men first came to Australia and treated aboriginals poorly they thought they were right and it wasn't racist as well...

I'm not racist, I just hate everyone :D

i dont hate everyone, im just racist. :p

I find this response to the problem quite interesting for many ways. John Howard is described within political science circles as a 'radical conservative'- being a traditional conservative on many aspects but being radical on others, most prominently to do with the centralisation of government power (which conservatives traditionally oppose).

Mal Brough argued that the reason it has taken so long to undertake is because of the problem of political momentum. These policies can hardly be described as moderate in any fashion- it's a highly interventionist approach to fix a problem that is shameful. Mal argues that it was impossible to work up the momentum needed to be able to give the polities the approval they need from cabinet, let alone the Australian public. He said that 18 months ago he chaired a similar committee, the results of which he hoped will result in action, but didn't.

I believe, after hearing him talk about what he has done, the sort of hours he has put into it, and how he argues so passionately for it, that Mal firmly believes in the policies. I am not as sure about John Howard, though. I do not know for certain why he did it, but I am slightly cynical about the timing, just like anyone else. If it is an election stunt, then it hasn't manifested itself very much in the polls (although personal approval ratings do matter quite a bit nowadays).

One aspect of this whole affair that has been skimmed over is that John Howard has publicly admitted that the institutions of state* have failed. The very first obligation of a state is to secure its boundaries and enforce the rule of law. Everything else is secondary to this concern, and the crimes being committed in these areas are endemic of a breakdown of the rule of law. So when you have the Prime Minister saying that the core prerequisites of the legitimacy of a state have been undermined in areas, this is a serious case in itself, and when the crimes committed are considered, then action must be taken. That is why what Howard is doing makes sense.

Don't get me wrong- I don't like Howard, and unless he pulls something fantastic out of the bag like a national network of running chocolate milk in every house, I will vote for Rudd. In fact, most people intending to vote Labor support the policies. However, as a liberal** the rule of law is crucial to me and that is why measures must be taken in order for progress to be made. Just about everything has been tried before and quite frankly, I'm willing to try anything right now.

* When I say 'state', I am referring to institutions that govern a given area; not state in the sense of a federalist system.

**Liberal in the philosophical sense of the term, not as in the Liberal party.

jas

Oh you want to be careful Zobo, I got labeled a racist by someone on here for saying exactly this! IT’s not racism, it’s a hard, cold fact!

Whatever is happening now is not working, so something outside the square needs to be done, and even that, I’m my humble opinion, won’t work because it’s still classed by these people as “white” interference! I’ve had more tangles with the aboriginal community in Brisbane than any other race, and generally 9/10 of those conflicts have been with half-cast blokes with a chip on their shoulder and under the influence of grog! I’m all for helping these people out, but when will the time come when they start to help themselves out? There is plenty of white trash out there who do not receive any of these entitlements! That is discrimination IMO! Voucher and Food stamps is the most logical approach so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back