Joining the police force?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetras

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Ive recently developed an interest in joining the police force. ive done some research about pay grades, promotion, training and such.
Just wondering if anyone on here can give me any more advice about it?
Id either be joining the South Australian police or the Victorian police....

Hey there i was in the Tasmania Police, basically you sit an entrance exam, with checks your basic numeracy, spelling and grammer aswell as memory skills, you will also under go a psyc test to make sure you not going to hurt any one. Upon completion of this if you are successful you will inder go a physicial test which involved endurance and strength. With the mainland police forces i believe you have to have 3 semesters of univeristy behind you in an associated degree of some kind before applying although with Tas you dont, but you also spend longer at the academy in Tas, 8 months in total. Tas has great pay and great working conditions.

My advice is dont go thinking it all the glam it is made out to be. There is so much you dont see that affects you. Remember you are dealing with the bad stuff nearly all the time, and although completing a case is rewarding often getting there isnt. You have to know within your self that you can leave work at work! Don't ever bring it home, you need to be able to switch off.

Don;t let the power go to your head, they're the kind of police who dont last, you are just another person doing your job, remember the good cops are the ones wanting to make a difference without makeing them selves the idol. It isnt just about self satisfaction but knowing you have helped others. You will be in the firing line, not just of bullets or knives, but of family domestics, young kids being abused and telling families they have lost their closest ones.

The best bet would be to ring Victoria Police Recruitment for more information on replying. Give it some thought if it is really what you want to do. If you want to make a difference and honestly believe you can GO FOR IT, there needs to be more cops like that, but remember also it wont happen over night, have the persistence to keep going, always look deeper, and remember if it is what you want go for it and dont let nothing stand in your way :D

Cheers,
Pog

agreed, it is one of the hardest but also rewarding jobs you could do.

You will get constantly abused for doing your job, the media will drill you, but if you are up for it, then it is a great job with great people (mostly).

As already stated don't let the power go to your head and don't do stupid things as it makes us all look bad. I myself can't stand police who do stupid things as it reflects on everyone. (just look at Fitzgerald Inq here in Qld)

I love the job and the forensic side of it that I do is very interesting, but not as COOL as CSI would have you believe! LOL

jas

My father was in the western Australian police force it caused a lot of strain on the family and on him. My advise when people ask is usually don't do it but at the end of the day someone has to, though i believe most of the people that are in the police force are not suited to the job as it is a huge responsibility that requires enormous amounts of dedication and sacrifice .

Firstly I think the Tasmanian Police uniform is just ..... stunning. :)

But apart from that, one of my nephews is in the WA Police Force. He's a 3 stripes man now and has been in for about 12 years and is posted in the WA country. The family are INCREDIBLY proud of him. He was dux of his class when he graduated, he's been involved in various areas of police work. I just want to say.....good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey everyone thanks for the replies and suggestions and such :)

Love how the community on here is so helpful.
The main thing im mostly worried about is how stressfull it'd be on my family if i decided to start one...
I might pop down the the local cop shop and ask them if i can do some work exp or something....
Cheers

u will also need to take a oath not to give any one a ticket who has a aps sticker on there car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back