Jungle Jag Enclosure Setup Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeches

Reaction score
Hey guys, just had a few things I wanted to clarify regarding setting up the enclosure before I buy everything I need. I have a 60x60x45 glass reptile one terrarium I intend to use as a display tank for a Jungle Jag yearling (until it outgrows it and while I search for a larger suitable tall display enclosure (hard since most are wide and long rather than tall unless you want to fork out $1000 for a tall glass and wood enclosure)).

I'm going to get a proportional thermostat (one probe cold side one hot) connected to a heat mat covering part of the bottom with a hide on each side also. The heat mat will also be on a timer for 12 hours during summer, 10 hrs autumn and spring and 8 hrs in winter. I'll be using a bark style substrate, whatever I find online that's listed as a reptile substrate that looks the best.

1. My first question is, is that enough heating? Or should I also have a heat lamp attached to the thermostat?

2. Secondly, do I need any particular lighting in addition to this? I will have lights on for aesthetic purposes but I'm wondering if anything else is needed.

3. What wattage heat mat is recommended for my terrarium?

4. What size hides would be suitable? At the moment from my educated guesswork I think it's between the 150 x 150 x 110 and 200 x 180 x 180 corner hides.

5. Also, how long would the enclosure be suitable for a 2 year old jungle? I've been looking around at the moment and can't seem to find many yearling Jungle Jags and the ones I do find are leftovers and I had a particular 2 year old listed on here in mind if I couldn't find any yearlings.

6. Is the heat mat attached to the bottom okay? It's the reptile one daintree enclosure or something I think and the base is a hard plastic. The previous owner had a heat mat attached with duct tape but I've heard conflicting opinions over having it attached to the bottom, some saying it can cause fires.

7. How does the timer work with the heat mat attached to the thermostat?

8. Are there any night lights that don't produce heat? Since I've read Jungles are nocturnal and would love to see him slithering around in there. Or could I just use a heat producing night light on the thermostat and timer?

Thank you very much for reading and feel free to correct me anywhere you see something wrong. Also apologies for the wall of text and amount of questions.

When I've used a heat mat, I used it on a storage tub; so the hard plastic base of your enclosure will be fine. I used aluminium insulation tape to attach the heat mat to the outside of the tub, and the thermostat probe directly to the heat mat. A heat mat needs air circulation and can overheat if your enclosure is flat to the ground, which it would be when it causes a fire. From personal experience, a jungle will probably appreciate some heat from above, as mine rarely sits on the floor of his enclosure. Maybe you could consider attaching the heat mat to the side of the enclosure (if it's powerful enough) to create a small heat gradient. If you're using a heat mat on the floor, I would provide heat with it 24/7, and have maybe a day lamp on a timer for radiant heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back