Jungle Python Behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my 4 month old Jungle python (b&w).
Saruman has been great so far. In the two weeks I've owned the python I have handled it maybe 3 or 4 times and fed once 9 days ago.
He/She likes to coil on the perch towards the hot side of the tub on a crossover. Anyway for the past 3 days Saruman has been under the newspaper bedding and I've only briefly seen it's little face once. Everytime I check in there it seems to have moved a little and it must be out at night to have a drink as the water has subsided.
It's last shed which was it's first was December last year so I'm assuming the research i have done it is due for a slough. I understand they feel very vulnerable during this period and perhaps this is why it's hidden.
I'm not too worried at the moment but at what point would you check? As long as there is movement I guess it will be fine.
Please let me know your thoughts and opinions!

20190305_185412.jpg

It is normal to hide away before shedding but hard to tell from your pic, they go dark and get milky eyes pre shed, it may be hiding away because it feels insecure. I can't tell how big it is and in what condition from your pic but it is almost certain that it has shed more than once since December assuming it has been feeding and growing normally.

That pic was from when I first got it. I haven't been able to see it's eyes for a few days now and it's colour is a bit hard to see properly. This is the smaller one of the last 3 from the clutch I got off you haha. If it's just insecure I guess just leave it until it's back out and about hopefully soon if it's not shedding.

The December shed would have been its first and recorded on it's card but they shed every few weeks when feeding and growing normally. Try to have a look late at night when it may be active, assuming it is in an undisturbed spot and no lights on.

Ok, It's in our spare room which doesn't get used much at all except for when I'm trying to have a look.
Cheers.
[doublepost=1552726061,1552715634][/doublepost]Here's a photo @Yellowtail .If anyone can shed some light.... imo I would say so but I'm pretty green on the subject.

20190316_184559.jpg
[doublepost=1552792742][/doublepost]I think I've found out the reason why he is where he is. The thermostat probe was at the end of the tub at the heat mat end. The heat mat is only heating at the tip of the mat (almost near the middle of tub) so it was a few degrees higher where he has hidden and probably loving the extra warmth.
I'll be buying a new Mat/cord for the enclosure I have waiting...
[doublepost=1552869807][/doublepost]Anyway he was about to, as I found out this morning. Although his eyes weren't as milky or cloudy as I would have imagined leading up to his shed..

20190318_103821.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back