Jungle Python Feeding Issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack92

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Last month or so I've been trying to get my 11 month old Jungle/Diamond Python to eat Fuzzy Rats. The first lot of Fuzzies I bought were pretty big, I tried one and he wanted no bar of it ended up giving the rest to my Blue Tounges. Couple days ago I bought some more Fuzzy Rats this time they were a lot smaller (different pet shop). He always comes down from his ledge and seems interested but then he just goes back up, so I had to give him a Quail for the time being. He just hit one meter aswell so I don't see why a fuzzy rat should be a problem. Any tips on how I can trick him into thinking its a mouse or anything is appreciated :)

Thanks

Feed him his usual food then just as it starts to disappear hand feed a rat directly behind it..Rinse and repeat until it starts to accept rats on his own.

Hi Jack,

Have you tried scenting the rats with mice? We used to defrost two fuzzy rats in with an adult mouse to feed to our Jungles and Darwin. The Jungkes took the mouse scented fuzzy rats first try. We recently swapped our Darwin over to hopper rats and haven't had any issues with rejecting food as he was eating rat scented mice for a few months. Next feed will be purely rats, no scenting, I am curious to see if any of the snakes reject the food. All the best with getting your python onto rats.

Thanks for the replies, Ill keep him on his usual feed (Quail/Weaner Mice) and Ill try both methods and see how I go. :)

You can also tie a rat to a mouse and feed it to him. Rogers reptiles has a good post about it on his facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back