Jungle python won't eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As pinefamily said, some take longer than others, sometimes up to 1 week and half for my coastal (his last shed) after blue eyes

Where as my Darwin can do a whole shed before I even realise what’s going on

Just noting - UV won't do any harm, but it definitely is not essential for snakes - many breeders, myself included, rarely use lights of any output in their cages, and have bred snakes through several generations without harmful effects.

Be careful of leaving an enclosure close to a window where the sun through glass can quickly heat a tank up to be fatally hot. Any prolonged and inescapable heat above around 38C will kill your snake in a matter of a couple of hours. It can happen very easily if you're otherwise occupied.

Jamie

Just noting - UV won't do any harm, but it definitely is not essential for snakes - many breeders, myself included, rarely use lights of any output in their cages, and have bred snakes through several generations without harmful effects.

Be careful of leaving an enclosure close to a window where the sun through glass can quickly heat a tank up to be fatally hot. Any prolonged and inescapable heat above around 38C will kill your snake in a matter of a couple of hours. It can happen very easily if you're otherwise occupied.

Jamie
Agree, don't leave it next to a window. A thermostat that turns the heat lamp off will not prevent excessive temperatures during hot days.

Jamie
Its near a window with a block out curtain behind it (between tank and window). Thanks I thought UV was essential, nice to know otherwise so I know not to worry.

UV is normally necessary for most animals (including us) for producing vitamin D which is necessary to metabolise calcium.
Lizards that feed on insects need UV but snakes eat whole vertebrate animals and get all their calcium from the bones without UV.
Some studies have suggested that certain species of snakes do not develop full natural colour without UV. Albinos will get sunburn and cancers from UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back