Just Discovered A Bad Side To The Hobby . . .

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a silkback. I didn't get him because of the scale/no scale issue, but because he seemed the healthiest and most alert of his group of hatchies. Of course I'll never breed him, and I'm aware of the shedding issues, so he gets a warm bath daily. Other than that, my entire group of reptiles are wildtype. I hope you guys understand... I'm not advocating the creation of silkies or anything, but I just believe that they shouldn't just be frozen. What people should do is stop creating them, because I personally believe it's quite unfair to kill them when it was us who bred them into existance. People these days... whats wrong with the good old beardie?
I agree with you,why try to turn a bearded dragon into a skink?? Nothing against skinks we own several but if you want a skink ,buy a skink! I have a hypo and a leatherback but wouldn't go any further.I love beardies because they are beardies.

Last edited:
I agree with you,why try to turn a bearded dragon into a skink?? Nothing against skinks we own several but if you want a skink ,buy a skink! I have a hypo and a leatherback but wouldn't go any further.I love beardies because they are beardies.

I think the folding stuff had more to do with their creation rather than a skink impersonation.

I think the folding stuff had more to do with their creation rather than a skink impersonation.
I agree. Its a crap gene and should of been euthanized at the start. And the first person that had silkback gene would of known that before trying to breed it. If u had a bearded born with 3 legs would u breed that deformity as a carry on gene ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree. Its a crap gene and should of been euthanized at the start. And the first person that had silkback gene would of known that before trying to breed it. If u had a bearded born with 3 legs would u breed that deformity as a carry on gene ?
Yes, it would've been much easier to have just not delved into these genes at all from the start. But now, since they're here, my opinion is to give those that are already in existance good lives and not breed anymore.

I agree with you Wally,I wasn't trying to insinuate something like an impersonation rather the bastardisation of something we know and love.
Obviously the silkbacks wouldn't survive in the wild,but they shouldn't be in captivity either.(Unless you're into freaks)

I agree with you Wally,I wasn't trying to insinuate something like an impersonation rather the bastardisation of something we know and love.
Obviously the silkbacks wouldn't survive in the wild,but they shouldn't be in captivity either.(Unless you're into freaks)

The info on the oversees sites on what people do to keep them alive makes my skin crawl.

No pun intended.

I was at a breeders house recently and when I spoke of my distaste for silkies he pointed to 1 and I realized it didn't actually have a beard

Skinks are awesome. While I don't know if I can pick a favourite group of lizard, I know that some of my favourite lizards are definitely skinks!

While in Western Australia we can't keep large species Bearded Dragons I've always admired their beautiful, prehistoric spiny appearance. Their beard displays are amazing. To think that people prefer them with no beards or spines is bewildering. What health problems do silkbacks normally experience?

Skinks are awesome. While I don't know if I can pick a favourite group of lizard, I know that some of my favourite lizards are definitely skinks!

While in Western Australia we can't keep large species Bearded Dragons I've always admired their beautiful, prehistoric spiny appearance. Their beard displays are amazing. To think that people prefer them with no beards or spines is bewildering. What health problems do silkbacks normally experience?
Shedding problems mainly, I believe.

Yes, they do get shedding issues. I bath mine every night and use HerpaShed regularly. As I've said above, I don't advocate production of silkbacks but want to give those that have already been created good homes until they stop being produced. Sort of like a silkback sanctuary rather than just euthanising them.

Yes, they do get shedding issues. I bath mine every night and use HerpaShed regularly. As I've said above, I don't advocate production of silkbacks but want to give those that have already been created good homes until they stop being produced. Sort of like a silkback sanctuary rather than just euthanising them.

I don't doubt your intentions but the truth is they will continue to be bred whilst people are still willing to buy them.

Their whole existence relies on everthing that flys in the face of their ancestors evolution. I guess that's the part I struggle with, whether they are a pet or not.

Raising awareness about the problem might help...? Just thinking
I don't think that will make much difference,some people just have to have certain things.Doesn't matter whether it is ethical or good for the animal or society.It's human nature/greed;gimme,gimme,gimme

Please Wally continue. I have no idea as I don't have a great deal to do Dragons at all.
Force feeding, ripping off stuck skin, amputating toes and tails, breeding them to normals/leathers (when they mate, dragons bite the female), etc. etc. It's horrible.

Force feeding, ripping off stuck skin, amputating toes and tails, breeding them to normals/leathers (when they mate, dragons bite the female), etc. etc. It's horrible.
Oh, and they also keep them permanently in small boxes with nothing but water in them. :(

I was at a breeders house recently and when I spoke of my distaste for silkies he pointed to 1 and I realized it didn't actually have a beard
They actually do have beards, although it only becomes obvious when they puff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back