Just havin a crack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeblake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi ladys and gents

I built this enclosure recently i will be building 2 more and a hatchie rack aswell. I would like some tips or ideas on improving the design and look of it. I already feel it needs a bottom lip of atleast 50mm for substrate.

I have used gas struts and kitchen cupboard hinges for the lid so it opes and closes nicely. I also used roller slides form epco for the glass and hooked the light up to a timer and a thermostat for the heat tile it has a 25 w heat cord siliconed to it.

I think the light is too much as it lights up my study better than my normal ceiling light does.

Any comments welcome just looking for some help

Thanks

20160328_104759.jpg

Just a thought, but it looks like your light is in the middle of the enclosure. You might get a better heat gradient if you had it at one end.

Just a thought, but it looks like your light is in the middle of the enclosure. You might get a better heat gradient if you had it at one end.

Thanks Tinky yes not a bad idea im using a twin fluorescent tube light it does put out some heat but not alot i have also put a shelf in on the right hand side on the nack wall so it shades the cool vent i will loom for a pic

that looks like an awesome enclosure mate.

with your lighting i guess it depends what snakes you have. but that light is definitely very bright

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thanks Jsmith its has my stimsons python in it. I think its too bright i will see if i can do something to dull it down or get different tubes for it.

yeh i have a stimson python...only a juv atm but something like this looks amazing for his upgrade enclosure.

i like the idea of the heat tile

yeh i have a stimson python...only a juv atm but something like this looks amazing for his upgrade enclosure.

i like the idea of the heat tile

the heat tile works well im not sure if i should have a heat light for a basking spot aswell ? i think if i did put a heat light in she would come out of her hide a little more.

the little woma is very happy with her enclosure for now while she is young the exoterra enclosure will be fine while i build a few more enclosures.

yeh even though im an noob. most things ive read is personal preference.

i like the idea of having a lower wattage heat mat/cord compared to a high wattage globe.

It depends if you are building the cage to look pretty or to work well. A baffle wall in the middle will improve the temperature gradient, and provide a shadow area for the snake to escape the glare from the light, but may make the cage look cluttered and the snake less visible.

It depends if you are building the cage to look pretty or to work well. A baffle wall in the middle will improve the temperature gradient, and provide a shadow area for the snake to escape the glare from the light, but may make the cage look cluttered and the snake less visible.

Thanks Wokka i added a shelf in on the cold side to give her abit more shelter and hide from the light also its fairly warm on top of the shelf i will get pics posted up soon.

i think the next enclosure will encorporate a baffle wall and a heated section away from the main enclosure sort of a burrow if you like that way i can use the fake turf and also some wood shavings in the hidden section ?

has anybody got any pics of their setups ?

Gday here is an updated veiw on the enclosure
I have taken out a light tube and that has helped heaps its now looking good and as i said before i have added a shelf on the cool side for abit more shelter pritty happy so far.

20160422_104354.jpg

Just a quick look inside the top of the enclosure
20160422_104838.jpg

Hey mate
just curious what timber you used, thinking about starting mymown build
cheers

Hey mate
just curious what timber you used, thinking about starting mymown build
cheers

hey Striker94 16mm malemine its called colour board in bunnings. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Had a crack at a rack set up today its not fitted out yet but you get the idea

20160425_124231.jpg

20160425_124212.jpg

I have two 15m heat cords for this rack but im just fluffing around with ideas at the moment also going to put those tubs on ali angles they have wheels but they dont roll very well on laminate

Last edited:
Ideally you need flat bottom tubs without wheels so they are in closer contact with heat cord. Solid sides and back will provide thermal mass and reduce draft so rear of tubs will stay warm, Also privacy for occupants.

Ideally you need flat bottom tubs without wheels so they are in closer contact with heat cord. Solid sides and back will provide thermal mass and reduce draft so rear of tubs will stay warm, Also privacy for occupants.

So i have been busy doing some mods and installing the heat cord and thermostat.

Also i have picked up 5 pythons 2 BHPs 2 Stimmos and a Woma.

20160516_182133.jpg

Last edited:
That looks boss [MENTION=42327]Joeblake[/MENTION], what thermostat are you using in the large enclosure?

That looks boss [MENTION=42327]Joeblake[/MENTION], what thermostat are you using in the large enclosure?

Thanks Burgo89 i use Habistat dimming thermostat with a 25w heat cord under the tile for the main enclosure and a Habistat pulse perportional with a 100w heat cord on the tub rack

Thanks Burgo89 i use Habistat dimming thermostat with a 25w heat cord under the tile for the main enclosure and a Habistat pulse perportional with a 100w heat cord on the tub rack

Hey mate is that a 300x300 tile? What temps are you getting? Have you tested without the thermo? Looking at doing similar with a 400 or 450mm tile

Hey mate is that a 300x300 tile? What temps are you getting? Have you tested without the thermo? Looking at doing similar with a 400 or 450mm tile

Hey bud its a 400x400 tile it gets very hot without a thermostat personally i wouldnt use the heat cord without a thermostat, it does take awhile for the heat to soak through the tile i have it set at 33 at the hottest point hope this helps ;)

yeh even though im an noob. most things ive read is personal preference.

i like the idea of having a lower wattage heat mat/cord compared to a high wattage globe.

So I can use a heat may instead of a heat light? What wattage would I need? What temp setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back