Just how easy is it to tame a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRMF

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering how easy it is to tame a snake so that it is confident with you and what are the best ways to tame them?

you cant tame a snake it will do it on its own it should calm down as it gets old and with plenty of handling it wont happen overnight but it will happen if you have time and patience

How long is a piece of string... Some seem to just do it others never will.

Ah okay, well I have a yearling coastal carpet python. She is around 1 year 4 months to be precise. :)

My coastal attacked me for about 6 months when I first got her. she's about 3 and a half now and I can't recall the last time she even got a little cranky...yours should calm down soon with regular handling...if not you may just be unlucky enough to have a lifelong cranky pants!

Ah okay, well I have a yearling coastal carpet python. She is around 1 year 4 months to be precise. :)

Just keep handling her daily (except when in shed and the couple days following a feed) and over time she will settle down.

Some snakes don't want to be tamed. Some snakes want to be poisonous killers when they grow up.....like my female water python.

Depends on what type of snake in my opinion
And also if it is a hatchy or not.

all snakes are different and they all have their own personality.
the same with humans, we are all different.
some snakes will tame up some snakes will not.

just get him out every day you can, starting at a couple minutes gradually making the period of handling more and more, eg; 1st fortnight 3 minutes, give or take 1 minute. 2nd fortnight 5 minutes give or take 1 minute.

it isn't that snakes get tame it's more they gain trust towards humans and they have to make sure you are not a threat, most predators attack from above so get him out with a hook or from underneath.

have fun,
bohdi.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Our hatchy Spotted, Port Mac, and adult MD are yet to bite any of us. Our hatchy Jungle gave 3 tags on its first handling session ans has not bitten since.

Handling method, husbandry, and the disposition of the individual all play a part in the snakes comfort level in my limited experience.

With taming snakes it really takes as long as it takes. It's like people, each individual person has different personalities and becomes more tolerant of things at different rates.

That being said, the amount of time it takes for them to calm down is a direct reflection of how much time and patience you put into the animal.

My jungle python was absolutely psychotic when we got her and after 4 weeks (and hundreds of tags) she settled down. Short 10 minute handling sessions that are calm, respectful and peaceful do wonders. Don't over handle and stress the animal out, don't pull the animal off it's perch to try and handle it. Pick the animal up without hesitating or being fearful. Just lift them out, handle them and don't worry about the bites. It all comes together eventually.

Wave a rat in front of it. It will give you love bite and hug you long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back