Keelback Eating Cane Toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have some residual immunity to toad toxin and can eat small to medium ones with little effect, however larger ones can still kill them. I believe that the Keelbacks habit of eating its prey from the rear actually helps squeeze some of the venom from the toads glands hence reducing the quantity of venom ingested.

There are also reliable reports of Red Bellied Blacks eating them in some locations. I also spoke to people quite a few years back who showed me pics of Keelbacks scaping and eating dead toads of the road, even while there were other edible species of frogs hopping around.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, Australia's Saw-shelled turtle - Myuchelys latisternum can also eat Cane toads. :)

Unfortunately, research shows that none of the species with a resistance to toad poison LIKE to eat cane toads - only if there's no other prey or is an easy catch.

Unfortunately, research shows that none of the species with a resistance to toad poison LIKE to eat cane toads - only if there's no other prey or is an easy catch.
Crows have learned to flip cane toads over onto their backs and attack them from the belly.

Crows have learned to flip cane toads over onto their backs and attack them from the belly.
I was only referring to reptiles.

The reptiles that have a resistance to cane toad poison don't like to eat them naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:
A thought I just had is that maybe they don't flip them because of their toxicity, but rather do it because the belly skin is a lot softer than the leathery hide that cane toads have on their backs.

A thought I just had is that maybe they don't flip them because of their toxicity, but rather do it because the belly skin is a lot softer than the leathery hide that cane toads have on their backs.

I've thought that for a while, since I first heard about it. Seems to make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back