Keelback enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baker

Reaction score
Recently I got in and upgraded my keelbacks enclosure to make it more natural looking while also giving it plenty of swimming area. I was however a bit lazy with this build so I only have completed photos. Basic process though was I used expanda foam across the back to make a fake rock wall. Then I put three layers of grout to harden and make it look like rock. Did a bit of dry brushing with acrylic paint to make it look more real, and then finally three coats of water based pond sealer to finish it off.

As my aim was to flood the entire bottom section I also got a planting tray for seedlings and then repeated the above process along the two sides that would be visible. Then I put it on some legs to keep it raised out of the water. Once everything was dry and cured I then put aquarium pebbles across the bottom, flooded the tank and decorated the rest.

1L1A9QW.jpg

HHBie42.jpg

HEMwZxs.jpg

Overall I am rather happy how this has turned out, and the keelback seems to enjoy being able to swim properly again, along with all the hidey holes I have put into the tank.

Cheers, Cameron

I give this guy a varied diet and have feed a range of fish to him over the years. Most common used to be just feeder fish I'd catch using a bait pot in my parents dam or the local creeks (gudegons, guppies, swordtails etc), very occasionally goldfish and even a small whiting once. More recently fish wise his had just frozen whitebait. Along with fish he also feeds on rodents, and will happily take hopper rats without a problem (that's actually what's in his food lump currently).

Hahaha, that seems to be a trend you have with all of my animals latetly Imported_tuatara.

Cheers, Cameron

His a decent size, and is pushing close to 60 cm. Could of course still get a bit larger, but his about the average length for keelbacks.

Cheers, Cameron

Great setup. The only fish I can find in the creek are mosquito fish. But the lizards love them, and I have no issues harvesting pests.

@baker. Hate to say it, but Whitebait is one of the fish high in thiaminase like Goldfish. American Garter snakes are fish-feeders and there is good info available on Garter snake websites about thiaminase-free fish. Keep up those rodents and use the Whitebait sparingly would be my advice.

Recently I got in and upgraded my keelbacks enclosure to make it more natural looking while also giving it plenty of swimming area. I was however a bit lazy with this build so I only have completed photos. Basic process though was I used expanda foam across the back to make a fake rock wall. Then I put three layers of grout to harden and make it look like rock. Did a bit of dry brushing with acrylic paint to make it look more real, and then finally three coats of water based pond sealer to finish it off.

As my aim was to flood the entire bottom section I also got a planting tray for seedlings and then repeated the above process along the two sides that would be visible. Then I put it on some legs to keep it raised out of the water. Once everything was dry and cured I then put aquarium pebbles across the bottom, flooded the tank and decorated the rest.
very nice baker i wish i had keelbacks nice setup
1L1A9QW.jpg

HHBie42.jpg

HEMwZxs.jpg

Overall I am rather happy how this has turned out, and the keelback seems to enjoy being able to swim properly again, along with all the hidey holes I have put into the tank.

Cheers, Cameron
[doublepost=1517047797,1517047623][/doublepost]very nice setup ive always wanted a keelback

@baker. Hate to say it, but Whitebait is one of the fish high in thiaminase like Goldfish. American Garter snakes are fish-feeders and there is good info available on Garter snake websites about thiaminase-free fish. Keep up those rodents and use the Whitebait sparingly would be my advice.

Don't worry, I am aware of this. That is why I provide a wide range of different food items and species to make up for any defects or problems such as thiaminase. Interestingly around Brisbane there appears to be a shortage of bait fish small enough to feed this guy, so his diet has taken a turn having a much larger proportion of rodents now than it did.

Thanks, Nero Egernia and bluedragon. Keelbacks are certainly an interesting species to keep, just sucks it's always so difficult to try and track down people with them.

Cheers, Cameron

Great setup. The only fish I can find in the creek are mosquito fish. But the lizards love them, and I have no issues harvesting pests.
I take about 5000 of those a week out of West creek here and turn them into turtle poop.

Sounds like a good setup, but I can't see any pics.

What method do you use to catch the Gambusia?

I am not sure how others catch them, but I just use a simple dip/bait net and scoop them up in the shallows that they infest.

I also feed them to my lizards. The angle headed dragons love them.

They sure do but you have to keep your traps only half suberged like in the picture as it will draw every turtle within 1000 square metres.
20161020_153655-1.jpg
20161020_153705-1.jpg

Obviously sub-adult turtles like this Murray are too large to enter the trap but baby turtles can and if it's completely submerged, they will drown.

They sure do but you have to keep your traps only half suberged like in the picture as it will draw every turtle within 1000 square metres.
Obviously sub-adult turtles like this Murray are too large to enter the trap but baby turtles can and if it's completely submerged, they will drown.

So these traps are legal then. They don't qualify under the 'Opera House' traps that kill platypuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back