Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naivepom

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been fortunate over the last week to see two things I have been hoping to photograph for ages - reptiles feeding and fighting. I was pretty excited when I saw these so thought I'd share them....

Attachments

• VaranidFight1.jpg
    VaranidFight1.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 300
  • KeelbackvsFrog1.jpg
    KeelbackvsFrog1.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 296
  • KeelbackvsFrog3.jpg
    KeelbackvsFrog3.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 284
  • VaranidFight.jpg
    VaranidFight.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 289
Fighting? Really that's how the wife said goodbye this morning, maybe she doesn't love me:)

Cool pics mate appears you had a good day!

And it's definately a Keelback!

awesome, nice finds! Great shots too :D

Awesome photos, well done. I have seen millions of lace monitors this spring/summer, and it was ony 2 days ago that for the 1st time that i found two together. Ive never seen 2 fighting. The two i saw looked like they might have been hubby and wife!!!

Very nice, how could anyone not like V.panoptes :)

I may be entirely wrong but I think they're V. gouldii. Either way they are amazing animals.

Well possibly, they are yellow spotted goannas/river goannas/floodplains goannas, either V.gouldi panoptes or V.p.panoptes. Taxonomy with these criters is very confusing, but basically one is real tanky and stands up while the other is skinny and hugs the ground and often are found in differant habitat.

Its a really strange part of herpetology, an extremely obvious critter seemingly ignored, although they live all over the top half of australia its often thought they are restricted to the pilbara and tropical areas as suggested in old books.

very nice pics, good to see some color back in the common as well

, either V.gouldi panoptes or V.p.panoptes. .

that doesn't make sense to me.
varanus gouldii come in gouldii or Flav.
varanus panoptes are a completly diferent monitor.
there is no such thing as varanus gouldii panoptes...

correct???

i love that last one of them standing up, its great!

poor little froggy but haha.

does cane toad poison have any affect on snakes?

They sure are Yellow Spotted Monitor's-Varanus Penoptes Penoptes, you tell by their size and markings on their back, l have never ever seen a Sand Monitor as big as those 2, Yellow Spotted Monitor's can grow to 5 foot long and a very solid all over compared to a Sand Monitor.

Last edited:
well im gonna call them large lizards cos i really wouldnt have a clue! ;)

great pix, that would have been awesome to see!!!

well im gonna call them large lizards cos i really wouldnt have a clue! ;)

great pix, that would have been awesome to see!!!

Chris, lf you and anyone else really wants to know what these 2 large Monitor's are, l would advice you to look them up in either ( Reptiles & Amphibians Of Australia Author Harold G. Gogger or A Complete Guide To Reptiles Of Australia Authors Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan ), you will see photos and information about Varanus Penoptes Penoptes & Varanus Penoptes Rubidus and Varanus Gouldii Gouldii & Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus.
These 2 books are the ones for indentification of Australian Reptiles, and a the most upto date books that l can recommend to any series reptile keeper.

i love that last one of them standing up, its great!

poor little froggy but haha.

does cane toad poison have any affect on snakes?

Keelbacks can eat canetoads without dying. Those pics don't show a canetoad though.

that doesn't make sense to me.
varanus gouldii come in gouldii or Flav.
varanus panoptes are a completly diferent monitor.
there is no such thing as varanus gouldii panoptes...

correct???

Its all a bit confusing, but basically the specimen originally called V.gouldi is a yellow spotted monitor. Im not really sure what names are correct, but this link explains the situation.
Mampam Conservation - Varanus flavirufus

Bluey66, those books are excellent, but they cant keep up to date with taxonomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back