Keeper Bitten By Adder (Vic)

Discussion in 'Reptile News' started by MrBredli, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedEyeGirl

RedEyeGirl Very Well-Known Member

ouch..........poor guy.....but still wat if he was being stupid

2. Dan19

Dan19 Very Well-Known Member

Well there go's any hope of getting a snake for xmas ,, thanks a lot mate, just what the wife needed to read b4 she said yes , . Hope ya get better
    Posted by: steve of kinglake 11:19am today
    Comment 6 of 12.

LOL, was he going to get a elapid for his first snake was he? What a massive tool!

3. moosenoose

moosenoose Legendary

I love the career clawing biochemist :?

4. Splitmore

Splitmore Well-Known Member

hmm, certainly doesn't look too bothered by all the media attention!!

5. ryanharvey1993

ryanharvey1993 Suspended Banned

oh glad hes ok, i thought it was someone else bitten

6. xycom

xycom Well-Known Member

I've always had the impression that Adders have a reputation for biting keepers, is this true?

Per

7. Dan19

Dan19 Very Well-Known Member

Any snake will bite there owner under the right circumstances xycom. I just watched the channel 7 news on him, and i now know how to pronounce Sdaji.

8. snakehandler

snakehandler Very Well-Known Member

Any animal is capable of a bite, not just snakes. Its interesting that snake keepers can be given such a hard time about it, yet when a dog bites its owner it is all the dogs fault. I put both down to human error, animals are fine until humans attempt to touch them!

9. Viridae

Viridae Well-Known Member

Anaphylactic shock - an allergic reaction. While serious it can also be caused by peanuts, bees etc etc - anything your immune system severely overreacts to.

10. Splitmore

Splitmore Well-Known Member

adders while probably being one of the 'safest' elapids to keep but can unfortunately be very deceptive as well. Most other elapids (blacks, tigers etc) you only need to walk past their cage and you can tell in an instant if they are in the mood to bite. They usually give you plenty of warning and bluff before they actually bite. Adders on the other hand will just sit there and do nothing, day in and day out without moving a muscle. Most times you can clean the cage, change the water etc and the snake won't move but then one day the thing will explode from where it's lying trying to bite anything that moves. With adders it's nearly always a feeding response but it's so easy to get lulled into a false sense of security with them. Lucky for Sadji the bite appears to be very minor and a good lesson learnt. I've been keeping the things for almost 20 years and know full well what they are capable of and how fast they can move.

11. xycom

xycom Well-Known Member

I think it was mentioned earlier but people still get in a car every day, isn't that also a risky passtime.
    Sharks always seem to get a bad rap aswell when there's an incident.

How common is anaphylatcic shock or an allergic reaction from snake bite? A dude died last year from a Little whip snake bite.

Per

12. thepythonpit

thepythonpit Active Member

get well soon JD, some of us are rooting for ya

13. Viridae

Viridae Well-Known Member

If I remember my third year genetics lessons correctly severe allergic reactions are more likely to occur after a previous exposure. Certainly one of that speed requires it - needs time for the antibodies to be produced. When there is previous exposure the antibodies will be there and ready to go.

14. Pythonking

Pythonking Well-Known Member

dido snakehandler I often hear people talkin up themselves and saying good handlers shouldn't get bitten but its human nature to create errors, I've personally been bitten by one of my dogs and it was neglect on my part that caused the bite not that the dog is vicious and intentially wanted to hurt me, I think as a good handler of either animal reading the patterns and thinking about whats going on is the most important thing and even if you do get bitten get back on that horse.

15. snakehandler

snakehandler Very Well-Known Member

When keeping and working with vens we all know the dangers, we accept that we may get bitten and try to remind ourselves every day that errors are made and to keep yourself on the ball. No-one wants to get bitten but it is a reality.

16. tfor2

tfor2 Well-Known Member

Wow I only just heard tonight (friday) at dinner with friends. Those friends who i have mentioned sdaji's name to said "Did you see on the news that a guy called Sdaji was bitten by a death adder last night.... Well i just dropped my prawn in my lap sauce and all, did the quick oh my god please tell me the rest of the story. So Sdaji glad your ok and lets just hope that the media doesnt play around with that any more than they have for all our sakes. lol you know what i mean .

17. Snake_Whisperer

Snake_Whisperer Very Well-Known Member

Just watched the vid of the interview, glad you have a sense of humor about it mate! Hopefully the haters will see that even though you got bit you clearly still love 'em! Oh yeh, and keep your meaty bits away from the poisonous bitey bits!!

18. Duke

Duke Very Well-Known Member

Now I'm furious.
    From the same page I linked to earlier:
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/comments/0,22023,23856805-661,00.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And this one is a beauty too

19. baxtor

baxtor Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me how the media was alerted to the event. Softly softly might have been more prudent without the interview if avoiding negative coverage was a concern.
    I know of another keeper who was bitten by one of his tigers back in February. ended up in hospital etc. but nobody on this forum knew about it and the media sure as hell didn't. Has to be the prefered option I think.

20. bigi

bigi Very Well-Known Member

i see everything is ok, hope all is well sdaji, look forward to hearing the storey from the horses mouth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.