Keeping 2 frog species together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arielle

Reaction score
Does anyone know if its okay to keep a Litoria Caerulea(Green Tree Frog) with a Litoria Splendida(Magnificent Tree Frog)? I have looked around on google and some people say its fine as long as theyre a similar species and roughly the same size, but there are also articles that say you have to be careful with diseases etc. Id rather be on the safe side(because obviously frogs are very sensitive), but is this true or is it just paranoia?

Well they are both right, you can keep them together if they are the same size BUT; a, by mixing frogs you run the risk of spreading disease / parasites that frogs can carry, even ones that look healthy may have something, and b, Mags require a bit more heating than greens, though greens don't mind the heat, it will increase their appetite 10 fold, a bit like super charging a 6 liter engine.

I used to have a massive vivarium with green trees and white lips and they were fine together

Thanks, my green tree frog already eats heaps but i dont think shes too fat at the moment. It hasnt been too cold yet since ive had her so i havent had to worry too much about heating but when it gets colder what would you recommend? Ive tried using an aquarium heater in her water but when it heats itself up i noticed it gets very hot in one area, and it heats up occasionally to keep a 'constant' temperature. So I took that out straight away so she didnt burn herself. What is the best method of heating for frogs?

GTFs don't need any heating in Sydney, they are local to the area and eat well at a wide range of temps. Mags do better kept at around 30 most of the year, as their natural habitat provides. Heat frogs with mats / cord under and up the sides of the tank.

i heated mine with a cermic heat globe set at 30 degrees with a thermostat i had no heating in water they were happy with that & thrived and now live at the zoo

I have 4 greens, 2 mags & 2 white lips all together and have no problems at all(They are one big well fed happy family). I do keep my red eyes separate though. They are almost a year old and the greens would have them for morning tea. I heat my tanks with heat pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back