Keeping a bat as a pet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, if you want to die.

Bats have diseases.
Always good for a laugh :lol:

Better safe then sorry.
There has been fatalities recorded in Aus from Lysavirus.
I know I would want my shots up to date before risking a bite or scratch from one.

Haven't there only been 2 or 3 recorded fatalities from lyssavirus over a decade ago?
I've been bitten by a few microbats, one bite even broke the skin and I'm still alive!
Having said that, they rarely bite in the first place so the risk is very small (but still a risk I guess).

And to stick to the original topic I don't think they'd make great pets for all the obvious reasons people have mentioned.

I've just had a lecture on wildlife diseases, which included bats (as you would expect). Bats do carry Australian Bat Lyssavirus (closely related to the rabies virus), amongst other things. Just be aware though that the virus can be transmitted from a bite, though it can also be transmitted to humans via scratches, infected saliva or bat body fluid contact with broken skin (Say during a post mortem, which you wouldn't be doing anyway). They rekon the prevalence/occurance of lyssa in Aus is less than 1% in the total bat population, though of the sick, injured or rescued bats up to 62% of the bats are actually infected- thats just because the infected bats may be on the ground etc, easy to catch, may be partially paralysed etc so easy to pick up.

I personally don't think they should be kept as pets.. each to their own though I suppose

It costs about $300 for it unless you go to the doctor with a scratch or bite on you and tell them a bat did it, you'll get the vaccine for free.

While Im not telling you NOT to go down this path, be aware that the post exposure shots can really mess you up for a little while (read "a couple of weeks" afterwards). It may be worth paying the $300 to have a functioning brain and not be totally lethargic for a few weeks afterwards. I hear stabbing yourself with a fork a couple of time is sufficient, though.... :lol:

Haven't there only been 2 or 3 recorded fatalities from lyssavirus over a decade ago?

Yes, 2 I think, one from a micro and one from a Flying Fox... but considering the vasy magority of the community doesn't come into contact with bats, and very few people are actually bitten on a regular basis, it's hard to estimate the chance of getting this disease.... I'd for one would opt for the $300 injection before handling them.

Yes, what are you here for...? need a prescription or something?

Depends how good the stuff is that you're prescribing ;)

So....even captive bred bats contain life-threatening diseases?? errrr how?

If that's the case we all better start burning our snakes because we now have self-mutating diseases that pop up out of nowhere :lol:

I think the question was, can you keep them as pets, and maybe if so, if there are captive bred ones. I'm sure we all know taking stuff from the wild is illegal and most native animals are protected. So surely we're talking about captive bred animals????

It's not a myth about the flying foxes being carriers of a potentially fatal disease. When I lived in Sydney a WIRES guy asked me to help support a mother flying fox that had her wing membranes caught in barbed wire. Just before she was released from the barbed wire the elbow claw scratched the back of my hand and drew a small amount of blood. The WIRES guy said to me "you better get to a doctor and tell him what happened". I rang a friend who is a vet and asked him what the chances were of me being infected. I told him I wasn't bitten by her only scratched but I was told it didn't matter. He told me to go to the doctor immediately, the Lessa virus is deadly. My doctor had to inform the Health Department and the Rabies vaccine was couriered to the doctor's office, I wasn't allowed to leave. I had to have 6 injections that first day with may more injections to follow on a very strict timetable. I don't know if the vaccine is different now as this happened about 8 years ago.

I'd still help out again if needed. The only pain was after the injections I couldn't give blood for just over 2 years.

Just be aware and do some research. Contact rescue groups and see what advice they can give you.

My doctor had to inform the Health Department and the Rabies vaccine was couriered to the doctor's office, I wasn't allowed to leave. I had to have 6 injections that first day with may more injections to follow on a very strict timetable. I don't know if the vaccine is different now as this happened about 8 years ago.

I'd still help out again if needed. The only pain was after the injections I couldn't give blood for just over 2 years.
The vaccine is very different from the treatment afterwards. I had the rabies vaccine (preventative) in the USA because I was doing capture and release studies of rabbits and tended to get racoon, opossum and skunk as well. The vaccine is a subcutaneous injection series - about 3 or 4. I think it was expensive, but my Uni paid as part of OH&S. Afterwards you are supposed to get your antibody levels tested regularly to see if you need a booster. I moved here and didn't bother, but if I was getting into wildlife rescue or bat keeping, I'd certainly do so.

So again I'm asking the question: Do captive bats wake up one morning with rabies and the like??? :lol: Because of course we're talking about collecting wild bats and keeping them as pets??? Aren't we?? There is no such thing as a captive bred bat?? 8)

So again I'm asking the question: Do captive bats wake up one morning with rabies and the like??? :lol: Because of course we're talking about collecting wild bats and keeping them as pets??? Aren't we?? There is no such thing as a captive bred bat?? 8)

Most pet bats (exhibitors animals) are wild caught un releasables through wildlife care groups, torn / broken wings from Barbed Wire fences ect..

as snakeman said, you could join an organisation to care for them
check out www.batrescue.org.au for more info :)

Thank-you for the link. Ive wondered for quite a while, what's involved in being able to keep bats!! OMG! :shock: Rabies shots??? :shock:

Most pet bats (exhibitors animals) are wild caught un releasables through wildlife care groups, torn / broken wings from Barbed Wire fences ect..

But surely people with pairs of "unreleasable" bats would try and breed them? Unless there is legislation in place preventing that sort of thing happening?

I guess I've NEVER seen any for sale, and they certainly aren't listed for the average keeper. So I guess you can't keep them at all :) The End.....unless you're a wildlife carer :)

So again I'm asking the question: Do captive bats wake up one morning with rabies and the like??? :lol: ........)

I guess it's possible. Carriers usually are not affected but can spread a disease. But of course there have been reports of a virus turning on its host. Never know...get the vaccine and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back