keeping boyds forest dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crikey

Reaction score
hay everyone
im going to tell you the basics of keeping boyds forest dragon and yes i do own them and have for 4 years here is a list of things you will need:
* A tall enclouser cause these are climbing lizards and like to climb high

* and you will need to feed them moving food like crickets or roaches and mealworms cause these lizards only feed on moving foods

* these lizards dont need a heat lamp unless in cold climate you wil need a uv lamp

* some plants or vines or sticks for them to climp up

*substrate can be anything like paper towl or rocks but not sand
>try to keep your boyds between 20-28 degrees celsius
>these lizards get to size any where between 20-50cm
>alot of people on here say thay are hard to keep but i have found that thay are just as easy as a bearded dragon or blue tongue and i would like to know why people find them hard to keep cause i know 14 year old kids that keep them like seriously guys these arnt hard lizards to keep and you dont need an over the top enclosures thay will do with a simple enclosure you guys that are saying there so hard to keep are just people holding this hobby back and scaring of new comers to this hobby
>my boyd forest dragons will only eat moving pray iteams but some people say thay have seen theres eating fruit and veggies
>alot of boyds will only drink moving water so i provide my ones with a water fountain which i purchased from urs
so i hope this gives you the main idea of keeping these great lizards this is not ment for the experianced keepers just for novice

these are just my apinions and dont just think this is a one stop shop

Last edited:
whao this is great, I am going to trust you 100% and go out and buy boyds now

(you missed out on a few key notes for a total lizard noob like me)

Can i ask how long you have kept these lizards?

enclosure sizes? or will I be able to fit a water fall in a shoe box?

ok when i said thay dont need heat thats a heat lamp thay dont need unless it gets relly cold. These lizard only have to be kept between 23-28 degrees. And the water fall only has to be large enougth for your boyds to jump in and have a drink and help them get there sheded skin of you might find that your boyds will only drink the moving water this is what i know so a bowl with a water bump will be ok just as long as the water is moving. If there is any thing else you need to know just ask
hope this helps

Last edited:
How big do they get? what size enclosure? substrate? food?

thay grow to a size of between 20-50cm i said what food thay eat itss crickets mealworms or woodies (woodroaches) and substrate can be papper towl or recycled papper pellets but not sand

im not to sure but it seems to be the only way thay will drink water

Are you sure? I've known of some that drink from a still standing water dish...

the ones we have at work always drink from a still water bowl but some wont. they do need a heat lamp to keep there body temp up, just like every other reptile.

well i have had my ones for 3 years and never used a heat lamp and nor has one the very first breeders of these lizards in captivity andrew and thay are as good as every other reptile i own and yes some boyds will drink from still water but my ones never and all my frainds ones have never so i would not like to risk it

Last edited:
I know we all keep our herps differently and if what you are doing is working and yours are in good health then that's great but I have had boyds prob 3 months now...and they aren't as simple as your making out. They do need extra care than other species so be careful offering advice as it could be of detroment if someone actually takes you seriously.

There is already a very informative thread created for Boyds Forest Dragons on the site created by southside_morelia. & I think you'll find Andrew does use heat lamps.

well im not going to argue but im just saying that for me myself thay are just as easy as bearded dragons or a bluetongue i only have to put a few crickets in every couple of days and clean there tanks every 2 weeks thats all to it i would like to know y all you guys find them so hard to lookafter cause thay are very basic to keep

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back