Keeping Eastern Beardies with Others

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
In the coming months I am going to get a couple of Beardies, and I was wondering if they would be ok with my Bluie/Cunninghams? It's a large outdoor enclosure but I don't want conflict. In my opinion a black/dark Eastern with a yellow mouth is an amazing looking animal and that is what I'm attracted to. So do they play well with others? Any other things I should know? Any recomendations are welcome

Also I looked on Wikipedia (Cause I'm like that) and it said that they are territorial etc. etc. But I figured they were talking about wild ones. And what is the absolute minimum sized enclosure for 4-5 lizards? Thats including the smallish (20-30cm) Cunninghams

Cheers! :)

I have seen them together in an outdoor enclosure. I wonder if they are only territorial towards each other (Beardies). I would only keep similar sizes together. I would also look at a largish enclosure to minimise contact.

blue tongues are very teritorial critters. Personally l wouldn't put them in with anything, even other blue tongues. I've seen first hand what can happen and it aint pretty.
I had 3 eastern blue tongues in a large outdoor pit. Plenty of everything for all to play.They were together for about 3 years and everything was great. Each keeping to his/her self
then oneday i came home, fed them as usual and about 3 hours later, i had 2 dead skinks and a very badly beaten up third.

^That doesnt sound good.:(

I have a friend who houses two shinglebacks with two central bearded dragons both inside and in an outdoors enclosure. I dont believe he has any issues. I have also seen Blueys and Bearded dragons housed together before.

i have a beardy with scars on her face, 2 immobile front feet, and a bunch of ribs that are all pokey out from being broken,...

i got her as a 7 yr old, she was housed with a shingleback by her first owner.

i would be very careful what you put with ur blueys, and be prepared to seperate them if things dont work as planned,...

i have 4 blueys, 2 ewd, 2 eastern beardies in a big outdoor pit. but it is big. there is plenty of room to get away. some are social others keep to themselves. i know that there are at least one bluey and one eastern beardie burmating together in the same hide. one bluey on its own. i have one very old and blind eastern beardie and they dont go near her, only the blueys have fought between eachother so far. but i think they would all be fine as long as there is enough room and the beardies are not smaller than the blueys. im putting in my 2 new cunninghams when the weather warms up so i will see how they go :p good luck and if u do it just keep an eye on them.

blue tongues are very teritorial critters. Personally l wouldn't put them in with anything, even other blue tongues. I've seen first hand what can happen and it aint pretty.
I had 3 eastern blue tongues in a large outdoor pit. Plenty of everything for all to play.They were together for about 3 years and everything was great. Each keeping to his/her self
then oneday i came home, fed them as usual and about 3 hours later, i had 2 dead skinks and a very badly beaten up third.
I will guarantee that your pit did NOT have a cover on it. Bluetongues don’t do that to each other and do not have the teeth to inflict wounds, let alone fatal wounds. Their teeth are rounded and too blunt to pierce human flesh. I have had my share of bluey bites as a lad and while they have strong jaws, they simply hang on and don’t attempt to chew. On the rare occasion where two bluetongues come into conflict, they try and bluff their way through it first. If that doesn’t work one might attempt to bite the other on the jaw. If successful they will lock jaws and sometimes roll around a bit, until one releases. When the other lets go it is considered the winner and the loser retreats. So the worst you can expect is some lifted scales around the snout region.

I don’t know what hopped or flew into your pit that did the damage but it was not self-inflicted by the bluetongues.

Blue

Providing adequate space, the use of different environmental niches such as raised basking sites, rocky ledges and crevices for the beardies and cunninghams (Cunninghams often occur on cliffs in the wild but I am sure would do fine with plenty of smaller rocks and crevices), and a little bit of a flatter area for the bluey's I think it would do fine.

yes although i do agree they can get sorta territorial, i find it odd that they decided to maul each other after 3 years of being together without a problem

back onto the main question, Geck pretty much summed it up
just make sure you have adequate space, a cover (both above and possibly below ground) and similiar sized critters
remember animals are animals and any small thing that runs around and can fit into the mouth is fair game

Yeah Ive also been bitten, they don't chew.

So in my enclosure there are 2 parts, and Indoor and an Outdoor.
Indoor: 2m long x 90cm wide x 90cm high
Outdoor: 2m Long x 1.8 wide x 90-120ish cm high.
Is this adequate? I'm thinking of building a raised platform with a log resting on the side for beardies to climb up to. I was going to upload pics but having a lot of difficulty :x

at a wildlife park near where i live i have seen an eastern in with a frilly and a bluey.

Indoor Bit:

IMG_0965.jpg

Outdoor bit:

IMG_0973.jpgIMG_0979.jpg

In this one you can see how high we are going to extend, just under the tile

IMG_0982.jpg

With some minor tweaks would this be large enough?

Can central netted dragons be kept with anything? Like a beard yin a tank?

They have to be the same size Pratty90, the beardie will just kill the central netteds when big enough.;(

Right, fair enough. A lot of people keep their beardies together don't they? I've got one sub adult male. If I got a girl would it be fine?

depends, i know some would recommend individual keeping unless breeding time
this of course would also vary depending on the temperament of your particular beardie
they can be quite agressive towards tank mates, especially males

if you do put them together they need ample space and lots of hides
whats the tank size if you do put them together? Are they both similiar sized?

P1010424.jpgP1010426.jpgAt snakes down under they keep beardys, frill necks, and fat tails together

Thats a really nice looking pit :)

I think an Eastern Beardy would do fine with them as long as they can get away from each other.

And keep an eye on them for the first few weeks after introducing them.

Thats a really nice looking pit :)

I think an Eastern Beardy would do fine with them as long as they can get away from each other.

And keep an eye on them for the first few weeks after introducing them.

Thanks, I'm really happy with it and so are my lizards haha.
Do you think that two would ok or would that be pushing the envelope? I've been thinking about and I've decided that I'd introduce them on the holidays when I'm at home so I can keep my eyes on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back