Keeping Elapids - QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd2302

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering how one goes about keeping elapids in QLD? I have kept lizards all my life, had my first python for a few months now, but have had an intense interest in Australian reptiles since I was a child... I don't honestly plan to have elapids in my possession for years, but just out of curiosity I thought I might ask as I would like to be able to observe an adder or a RBB in captivity one day. I have a recreational licence now, as far as I am aware I would need a restricted licence? Any QLD ven keepers, particularly Brisbane/SE QLD region? Would love to make contact.

I have searched elapid keeping etc, and am expecting the usual "why an elapid", "do you understand the risks", "i value my life" sort of comments... Though I am sure the more mature keepers of elapids (and any snake in particular) could give me some very sound advice. I thought I may start my research a few years ahead.

Thank you and look forward to feedback.

You need to do a ven handling course,apply and pay for the unrestricted license, pretty sure you need letters from 2 licensed keepers to support the application and a ranger will contact you and often do an inspection to ensure your set up is adequate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You need to do a ven handling course,apply and pay for the unrestricted license, pretty sure you need letters from 2 licensed keepers to support the application and a ranger will contact you and often do an inspection to ensure your set up is adequate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
never had a ranger at my house.... if you have never handled a ven before you have to do a ven relocation course and then a ven handling course they will issues you with the two letters needed once you have completed them.

U need to do venomous snake handling course and have an up to date first aid certificate, i spoke to the relevant people last week.
Oh and pay 14 dollars for the upgrade.

I upgraded end of last year for elapids in Queensland. What is needed is a certificate saying that you have completed a handling course, 2 stat decs from elapids keepers that have held their elapid license for 5 or more years, a current first aid certificate and then pay an extra $189.95 for the license. Also a tip if you have held a normal license for 4 years wait until you have to renew your current license because you will just have to repay another $189.95 when you have to renew the following year.
Also I am in Brisbane if you wanted to talk via PM or anything.
Cheers Cameron

Touting my own horn here a bit but....grab my book on keeping elapids.....a guide to Australian snakes- elapids and colubrids. It's available from Geckodan on here.

It gives you a very good grounding on what to think about and how to keep any Australian elapid available.

As for qld specific licensing requirements, speak to derm, they will give you the newest info. Having said that, what Cameron has said is what my understanding was the the current information in qld

cheers
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back