Keeping giant burrowing frogs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arielle

Reaction score
Can you keep giant burrowing frogs (heleioporus australiacus)? On my frog liscence under Class 2 it says you can, but they are a threatened species and I have never heard of anyone keeping one. Does anyone have any info on these frogs? I can only find general info and I am interested to know more about them.

i dont think there are many on liscense and not heard of any available.

That said im sure best chance to get some would be from Sydney. I would love some as we can keep them here in melbourne but they are just rare like hens teeth

cheers
Michael

If any one has some for sale let me know..... lol

There are a few around out the back of my place, one of my favorites to come across, though I think they would make for boring captives, as all burrowers would.

There are a few on license in NSW. As far as i know these are "rescue" animals or animals bought into captivity for education purposes.

I've heard about captive desert burrowing frogs. A mate had one that remained buried the whole year til he flooded the tank on Christmas Day, when it'd surface and feed.

-H

thanks guys
The reason i wanted to know is because a while ago a friend got me some taddies. One of them turned into what i thought was an ornate burrowing frog, but it turns out it was a giant burrowing frog, which i am now keeping and it is growing at a considerable speed, coming out at night to eat(so you can actually see it). I wanted to know about how to keep them; what size area they need etc, and if i found out it wouldnt be possible to keep, then i wouldnt know what to do with it. I was thinking maybe let it go where it came from but i couldnt bear the thought of it being eaten. But i would like to keep it so any tips would be great.
Thanks again

Well, your sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, technically, legal option's are very limited to you and it's unlikely you will be allowed to keep it legally. If you don't keep any other frogs, my recomendation would be to let it go from the immediate area where it came from, if it has been anywhere near other frogs from different areas, you may spead diseases letting it go and another option should be sort.

Well I havent had it with any other frogs so I suppose Ill let it go where i got it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back