keeping illegaly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
keeping illegally

soulweaver said:
he/she has shown me x-rays of red eared sliders.

they put them down as long neck turtles on the books.
What would he/she put a Galapagos (sp?) Island tortise down as? A cold-blooded pony? :lol: Ahhh, a reptile-pony, the best of both worlds!

soulweaver said:
he/she has shown me x-rays of red eared sliders.

they put them down as long neck turtles on the books.

Why would you bother, It doesnt make them any less illegal infact its falsifying a legal document; in this case your fauna record book; and a criminal offence.
Does that mean its only idiots who keep them SW????

ps, I can show you xrays of red eared sliders too. Do I need to thaw them out for the xray?

morelia-man: This is a reptile forum isnt it. We are discussing exotic reptiles are we not? I dont think bunnies and cats and camels have anything to do with the capability of a reptile to inhabit and occupy a new habitat! Always clever.

i think people cant really understand the potential outcomes of exotics unless they look right into the history of australia and our records of introduced species that are causeing huge problems. for example, somebody mentioned camals before, that is a great exaple, australia has more camels then any other country in the would, we have hundreds of millions of rabbits, heeps of buffilo and foxes. in the last 200 yrs we have had 17 of our natve mammals go extinct because of the pest we have introduced. if you havent relised a trend here well what will it take. if you want to know why they have become pests, its because the environment is ideal and they have no natural predators and a crap load of food. i beleive if they where legalised within 20 yrs we would have a large problem with wild exotics, look over seas most of there exotic reptiles have been let go cause they are to large, scary, expensive to care for. look what happened in sydney, two crocs where found in a few weeks of each othe....why....because people let them go cause they where probably to big and dangerous for them to care for any more.
we dont know the out come but from looking at other countrys with the problem that potentialy threatens us if we are allowed to keep them, we can see that the risk is way to high. i cant really think of anything else to say but if you want to sit there and ague for keeping them then mayby you could go get a yr 12 biology text book and read about introduced pests, and the damaging impacts they have on ecosystems, not just at a local level but also at a much larger scale.

Tristis said:
hix if you aquire the animal legaly it can be done.you can have exotics on a display license you just have to fill out all the paper work.

The majority of people on this site don't have the time or finances to be an Exhibitor. That's why I was ignoring it. You can start your own zoo and have your own exotics that way too.

But for the average reptile keeper, they can't have them.

:p

Hix

re keeping

You can get macaws and african parrots just heaps of exotic birds and dogs and cats and camels and newts,the reptiles are here to stay too.Hardly exotic all the corns and boas etc,like most of the humans and dogs and cats and ferrets and toads and goldfish and crap are also exotics get over it there is more important prioritys for government to worry about like regulating banks and the economy. :)

You can get macaws and african parrots just heaps of exotic birds and dogs and cats and camels and newts,the reptiles are here to stay too.Hardly exotic all the corns and boas etc,like most of the humans and dogs and cats and ferrets and toads and goldfish and crap are also exotics
that is true and look at the problems they have all caused, including us we're the reason they are all here, so we should keep the number of exotics to a minimum to reduce the risk of further problems. its true there here and they are here to stay but legalising them will just promote more breeding and a larger abundance of particular species which can lead to problems, by leaving it ilegal the abundance is dramaticaly reduced.

if you talk to vets, they will say off record that they arn't supposed to treat them
According to Mike Cannon vets are bound by a code of ethics to treat ALL sick animals regardless if they are illegal or not. It is not their position to decide or question if they are illegal or not, just to treat them.

re keeping

Cant see the point you know honestly,the exotic reptiles are out there in substantial numbers and people wont give them up and i doubt many would even want to be licensed not much me or jeff hardy or the man in the moons gonna do about it,tuff tittys.We will take the SAS out of afganistan to find them,its like the intergrade debate a waste of time,you can just help by not keeping them yourself,god my iguanas make a terrible rackett in the ceiling jumping up an down like theys on steroids this time of year :wink:

Splitmore said:
if you talk to vets, they will say off record that they arn't supposed to treat them
According to Mike Cannon vets are bound by a code of ethics to treat ALL sick animals regardless if they are illegal or not. It is not their position to decide or question if they are illegal or not, just to treat them.

yeah, Its called a bank account access code.

They aren't bound to treat anything. Its not like they have a Hoppocratic Oath.
Its their own choice. lets face it, a lot of people become vets because they are soppy animal lovers aren't they :twisted:

re keeping

OOh yeh superpete,drive it into those bullys,so macho! :p I love it so much when your nasty!!! you little brute you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yayo said:
This is just my opinion but I really doubt that a few exotics escaping and breeding would make a massive impact on Australias ECO system I think its just a case of the government trying to flex its muscles and show they have power like lets face it the government brought one animal we will never get rid of and are breeding worse then rabbits and moving into parts of Australia where the government said they could never survive (Im talking about cane toads).
We can't Import any "non-native" reptiles unless you have a permit for a zoo etc but yet we can import exotic mice and rats which have been known to harbour serious diseases which have killed humans (They say we aren't far from another bought of the black plague which wipped millions of people out)We can also import some exotic fish species which are not meant to be able to survive in "wild Australian conditions" but we are now seeing Pond,rivers,drainage systems over run with such fish as Discus and Red devils which are thriving in Queensland.
And if you walk into an aquarium shop 90% of fish in there are illegal to import but the government will allow them to be kept without legal action, So if you import them your screwed but if you are keeping them as pets and didn't import them you are sweet as pie. Just another case of the government's double standards.
I do like many exotics but I really like our native Carpets and tree snakes so i am content and don't feel the need to keep any.
So point of the story is anything the Government see's people enjoying they will ban it which in turn makes people resort to such things as smuggling.
Just my opinion.

There seem to be a few people that don't understand what I was saying so i will make it as simple as possible here it goes:

1)I was saying the government bought the biggest pest into australia (the cane toad) after they started to become out of control they said that the cane toads would not be able to survive in the colder parts of australia ( which they are now also thriving in)

2)When I was talking about a few exotics not ruining our eco system this is what i meant, There are probably 100's-1000's of exotics in the wild already and we arent seeing any visible impact (yet) but im guessing that exotics have been here since the hobby started so in theory how many years would it take to tell the damage (If any) they have done/are doing/will do? How many exotics do you think escape/ are let go into the wild each year and how many of them would survive after predation,freezing winters (In some parts in Aus),traffic,people who enjoy killing unfamiliar snakes? So i think only a handful of them would grow old enough to become adults.

I don't condone keeping ANY reptile illegaly exotic or otherwise.
Im pretty sure i explained it pretty well the first time so im not sure why people couldn't understand what i was saying.

P.S you all have your own opinions so let me have mine ;)

yayo said:
yayo said:
This is just my opinion but I really doubt that a few exotics escaping and breeding would make a massive impact on Australias ECO system I think its just a case of the government trying to flex its muscles and show they have power like lets face it the government brought one animal we will never get rid of and are breeding worse then rabbits and moving into parts of Australia where the government said they could never survive (Im talking about cane toads).
We can't Import any "non-native" reptiles unless you have a permit for a zoo etc but yet we can import exotic mice and rats which have been known to harbour serious diseases which have killed humans (They say we aren't far from another bought of the black plague which wipped millions of people out)We can also import some exotic fish species which are not meant to be able to survive in "wild Australian conditions" but we are now seeing Pond,rivers,drainage systems over run with such fish as Discus and Red devils which are thriving in Queensland.
And if you walk into an aquarium shop 90% of fish in there are illegal to import but the government will allow them to be kept without legal action, So if you import them your screwed but if you are keeping them as pets and didn't import them you are sweet as pie. Just another case of the government's double standards.
I do like many exotics but I really like our native Carpets and tree snakes so i am content and don't feel the need to keep any.
So point of the story is anything the Government see's people enjoying they will ban it which in turn makes people resort to such things as smuggling.
Just my opinion.

There seem to be a few people that don't understand what I was saying so i will make it as simple as possible here it goes:

1)I was saying the government bought the biggest pest into australia (the cane toad) after they started to become out of control they said that the cane toads would not be able to survive in the colder parts of australia ( which they are now also thriving in)

2)When I was talking about a few exotics not ruining our eco system this is what i meant, There are probably 100's-1000's of exotics in the wild already and we arent seeing any visible impact (yet) but im guessing that exotics have been here since the hobby started so in theory how many years would it take to tell the damage (If any) they have done/are doing/will do? How many exotics do you think escape/ are let go into the wild each year and how many of them would survive after predation,freezing winters (In some parts in Aus),traffic,people who enjoy killing unfamiliar snakes? So i think only a handful of them would grow old enough to become adults.

I don't condone keeping ANY reptile illegaly exotic or otherwise.
Im pretty sure i explained it pretty well the first time so im not sure why people couldn't understand what i was saying.

P.S you all have your own opinions so let me have mine ;)

Yayo, I don't think anybody was questioning your opinion. I think most just struggled with the logic the way it was written.

What way it was written?
All "i's" are dotted and all makes perfect sence if you take the time to read it for what it is.

...hmmmm because if you re -read the whole thread you will surely see that I am the only one who thinks your first paragraph makes no sense

Tell me what part dosen't make sence to you
*waits for whole post*

I'm sorry...am I the only one who sees the humour in Yayo's repeated references to being multilingual when he's failed to exhibit a decent grasp of spelling and grammar in the one language he's used so far? :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back