Keeping red back spiders

Discussion in 'Other Animals and Invertebrate' started by Reptiles101, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Unclewo-wo

Unclewo-wo Active Member

Can any one point me in a direction to find out about the laws of what we can and can not keep(native/nonnative) arachnids in Australia (nsw) and if we need a license or not please and thank you.

2. Senator358

Senator358 Well-Known Member

No license needed for native arachnids. Not sure about non natives

3. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber Power Seller APS Veteran

I keep dozens of them and sell them for $50 each!:lol:

4. CrystalMoon

CrystalMoon Reptile Lover Subscriber

I used to keep them in jars as a child, I thought they were beautiful and took my prized pet for show and tell. The other girls ran away screaming and wouldn't play with me lol the boys thought I was cool enough to join their gang lol The Teacher confiscated her till home time with strict instructions not to bring any more live critters unless invited :facepalm: I think your Girl is gorgeous

Murph_BTK likes this.
  5. Jacknife

Jacknife Very Well-Known Member

I'm currently keeping about 100 or so in my garage. Not voluntarily - they're more like squatters really, never pay rent and make a mess, but keep the riff raff out so they can stay...

Also, theres only ever been TWO recorded deaths from Red back bites and that was before anti venom was developed - which was back in 1956, and one of those deaths was an infant.
    No reason to let your guard down though...

6. borntobnude

borntobnude Guest

Bugger I killed about $1000 yesterday , should of read this first .

I know people want funnel webs also but I just keep taking them to the local hospital where they get shipped to the reptile park !

7. Spiders available

Spiders available New Member

want any more pets

I have 10 in my underground compost. Including some males (I assume they’re males) and 4 egg sacks and I went inside to get the surface spray but couldn’t bring myself to spray them lol (I must sick in the head - says she who will video tape a massive white tail spider crawling up my wall before considering even squatting it with my bare hand (to stun it so I can run and get a tissue lol)
    I’ll know it when I get bitten. I was wondering if there was any spider keepers in Newcastle NSW

Where are you located? I have $500 worth

The reptile park 100km from me doesn’t want them, they only want funnel web spiders

Haha I haven’t had a problem with cockroaches in the compost since the spiders moved in. They are excellent guests

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017