Keeping Snake In Garage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sj1805

Reaction score
hi all
I have an 8 yr old Murray darling in a melamine enclosure with glass doors.
His house is currently in the lounge room and only heated during the day, all heat is turned off at night.
would he be ok in the garage?

What is the garage made of, and is it insulated at all? I would think it would be ok, as long as you have plenty of hides in the enclosure; perhaps consider a more protected hide to give your MD somewhere less chilly during the colder months.

I've got all my snakes in my brick garage, that includes a hatchie rack, x2 full glass enclosures and x7 melamine enclosures and I have no issues as long as I have the right light wattage etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got all my snakes in my brick garage, that includes a hatchie rack, x2 full glass enclosures and x7 melamine enclosures and I have no issues as long as I have the right light wattage etc

So you keep heating on at night?
I don't at the moment because the house stays warm.

So you keep heating on at night?
I don't at the moment because the house stays warm.

Yes! My hatchie rack right this moment (even though it's pouring outside here) is sitting at 34 degrees
My breeding animals are on 20 something degrees at night (to low and I have gotten Ris before) and yearlings are on 31 at night

Yes! My hatchie rack right this moment (even though it's pouring outside here) is sitting at 34 degrees
My breeding animals are on 20 something degrees at night (to low and I have gotten Ris before) and yearlings are on 31 at night

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll keep his heat lamp on at night when I move him.

hi all
I have an 8 yr old Murray darling in a melamine enclosure with glass doors.
His house is currently in the lounge room and only heated during the day, all heat is turned off at night.
would he be ok in the garage?

It all depends on what the temperature requirements for the snake are met. I use a laser gun on my snakes to get their temperatures. I know at night they need it a little cooler.
Lonnie, Fox Valley Herp Club.

I know many keepers/breeders who keep animals in the garage.
Most do not heat at night at all.

While everybody seems concerned about it possibly being too cold, enclosures are easy to heat. My biggest concern would be that it could get dangerously hot in summer during heatwaves. If you're happy that this won't happen, fine, but lots of snakes die in garages and sheds during the hottest part of summer, especially if you're not around to watch the temps during the day. Excessive heat kills reptiles far quicker (in an hour or two sometimes) , than it being a bit too cool.

Jamie

The cold is not a problem at this time of the year. Google the distribution of MDs and you'll find those parts of Australia where they occur have pretty cold nights atm.

Almost all my breeder animals are in the garage. No heat at night. No problem. Might not be best in a glass enclosure though if they are exposed to draughts. There is more to RI than just cold. Cold in winter is something most snakes are more than capable of dealing with IF the keeper has set up the correct husbandry requirements.

1 of the guys I work with kept all his snakes in the garage ( Campbelltown area) and he lives in a rental so no insulation there.And he's a cheapskate so no night heat.

Simple rules:
  • No draughts
  • Thermostats
  • Heating at night
  • Necessary precautions during forecasted weather extremes
Reptiles can survive harsher conditions than the inside of a garage, but I find you'll probably still have the least issues with a local species. You're not going to be able to breed chondros in your garage! :) But I think the draughts rule is the most important. I've kept animals in a brick garage before, and I find that as long as there aren't draughts, the temperatures stays pretty good throughout the night. Will it be where the car is parked? Starting a car in an enclosed space like a garage can raise carbon dioxide to lethal levels within seconds. This can and will kill the animal over prolonged periods.

Last edited:
Simple rules:
  • No draughts
  • Thermostats
  • Heating at night
  • Necessary precautions during forecasted weather extremes
Reptiles can survive harsher conditions than the inside of a garage, but I find you'll probably still have the least issues with a local species. You're not going to be able to breed chondros in your garage! :) But I think the draughts rule is the most important. I've kept animals in a brick garage before, and I find that as long as there aren't draughts, the temperatures stays pretty good throughout the night. Will it be where the car is parked? Starting a car in an enclosed space like a garage can raise carbon dioxide to lethal levels within seconds. This can and will kill the animal over prolonged periods.

Reptiles can certainly survive all kinds of conditions if they have the ability to move around freely. Stuck in a box inside a hot garage is another thing altogether.

Reptiles can certainly survive all kinds of conditions if they have the ability to move around freely. Stuck in a box inside a hot garage is another thing altogether.
In the wild, they would move around to thermoregulate, and since they can't do that in a box, you've got to basically offer them the conditions that they would seek out themselves. Humidity might also be an issue in garages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back