Keeping Snakes Out

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What is the most effective way of keeping snakes out of our yard?

My OH and I have just bought a house on acreage, and our property backs on to 50 acres of scrubby bush. So far we've only had a green tree snake in the yard (which my Sibe killed! :() but I'm worried about browns. With 3 dogs here I am really scared that one of them might get bitten.

So asides from the obvious (keeping the yard tidy, lawns mowed short regularly etc), is there anything we can do to deter snakes from coming into our yard?

I'm not sure I Don't think it would be a huge prob you may never see a brown, not many people do otherwise no one would live on acerage!

And ugh I want to live on acerage ya lucky bugger!

Miss B ..not alot you can do ...besides what you already are doing ..keeping it clean and open ,dont provide hidey spots ..with the dogs its pot luck ..all I can say is maybe build a dog run with good wire that is only a small ml wide square so that snakes cant get in ..keep dogs in the run when you can not be outdoors with them ..keep all water in the run ..so you arent providing water for the snake to get at ..
fingers crossed your dogs wont come in contact with a brown or any other snakes as I dont want either becoming victims ...

Given your circumstances, and apart from the obvious things you mentioned, there is probably little you can do to deter snakes. The best approach is to avoid doing anything that will actively attract them. If you keep poultry or other birds outside, have sheets of corrugated iron or wood piles around, or store seed where small mammals can get at it, you will almost certainly attract snakes.

See also http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/solar-snake-repellent-118888 for some detailed information on what doesn't work.

I'm not sure I Don't think it would be a huge prob you may never see a brown, not many people do otherwise no one would live on acerage!

And ugh I want to live on acerage ya lucky bugger!

WRONG!! have u eva lived on a big bit of land?? how many times have u heard of a farmer taking a shovel to a snake?? we live on some land a see 1 or 2 browns in the summer some times more! not alot you can do really. just keep the place clean and get rid of any spots that they could hide in. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back