kept outside

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
can ackie monitors be kept outside or are they better to be kept inside? and if kept outside who has any history with keeping them outside?
[doublepost=1540889920,1540817320][/doublepost]B.

I don't see why it'd be a problem if you can keep the temps right and make the outdoor enclosure escape proof.

I'm about the go through the same thing with my Yellow Spotted Monitor in a few days. Tank is set up. Just monitoring outside air temps and also under about a foot (has about 1-2 feet to dig into) of dirt.

Considering it's warming up I might not even need supplemental heating until next Winter. See how the monitoring of the temps go before I decide though. Not so much worried about day temps, but overnight ones.

Depends on your location. In Wollongong it would be borderline, and only possible with very careful enclosure design and/or supplemental heat. I've known people who have done it further north. If you really wanted to put the effort into a really good enclosure it would certainly be possible. Some basic tips are having your pit/aviary with a north-facing aspect (against a north-facing wall or slope) and a carefully-positioned piece of glass can work wonders. If they can get under a piece of glass in a sheltered position, it works as a miniature hot house and you can achieve literally 80+ degrees even on cool but sunny winter days. In a large outdoor enclosure, you can have an easy time of providing a thermal gradient while still using these thermal tricks to make particular areas as hot as you want them.

with the wollongong weather etc would it be best to have them indoors?

It's certainly going to be easier in many ways. Personally, I'd do them indoors for the sake of being practical, and only keep them outdoors if it was something I just felt would be fun or satisfying. If you're unfamiliar with keeping monitors I strongly suggest keeping them indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back